* Picking Nits (sgnus v0.79/tm7.52)
@ 1996-04-25 22:32 Steven L Baur
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-04-25 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

For the most part, I like very much how September Gnus is shaping up.

1.  Setting gnus-auto-center-summary to t (the default) produces bogus
    behavior on XEmacs 19.14 -- it warps the cursor off of the last
    article in the *Summary* buffer all too often.

2.  I don't care for the sequence of events when one selects a mail
    response function.  The subject prompt comes first, and the text
    is poorly worded -- it should just ask for a Subject:.  The
    currently selected article then disappears.  Very often I end up
    splitting the frame and putting the *Article ... buffer in the
    other window.  This is what Gnus used to do, and I guess I miss
    it.  The least you could do would be to make the *Article* buffer
    be the default target for C-X 4 b or C-X 5 b ...

3.  The technique of manually splitting digest articles into another
    group would be O.K. but the defaults don't work right.  Example: I
    have a group nnml:lnx-announce-digest, that gets filled with
    digests from the comp.os.linux.announce newsgroup.  To use this
    group I C-d each digest, mark all the articles and then B c them
    into another group ``nnml:linux-announce''.  The default
    destination for B c doesn't work at all the way I like.  I don't
    mind having to type in a destination the first time, but I think
    Gnus should remember what I've typed the next time this operation
    is done.  It's a nit, but it is starting to get on my nerves.

4.  The major/minor modes in the status line need some cleaning up.  I
    am seeing them start off with ``(Message MIME-Edit 7bit Filladapt
    ...'', and by the time the clickable (new XEmacs feature) minor
    modes are reached, they are truncated and unreachable :-(.  I'm
    not sure what can be done, but MIME, auto fill and filladapt are
    strict necessities.  Truncation doesn't really matter when the
    Status bar is only informational (Emacs, XEmacs 19.13), but it
    does matter when the minor modes become clickable buttons as in
    XEmacs 19.14.

5.  Message mode definitely needs a customized toolbar.  The default
    XEmacs one with buttons for Mail (pointing to vm) and News
    (pointing to Gnus) is mostly pointless and distracting.

6.  Marking articles and then running X u has a conflict with Tm and
    inline image display that I haven't figured out how to defeat yet.
    I only want to see inline images if I select a single article for
    viewing.  In mass operations off the X keymap, I just want the
    decoding to occur and nothing else.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.