* nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-23 23:08 Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 1999-11-23 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I upgraded to 0.98, and I'm trying to use nnimap for the first time.
I've added the following to my .gnus.el:

   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
         '((nnfolder "archive"
                     (nnfolder-directory   "~/mail")
                     (nnfolder-active-file "~/mail/.active")
                     (nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
                     (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry nil))
           (nnimap "" (nnimap-address "shell.faradic.net")
   ;                (nnimap-stream "network")
   ;                (nnimap-authenticator "login")
                   )))

I've tried with and without the nnimap-stream and nnimap-authenticator
variables, but the result is the same in all cases.  The connection to
the IMAP server is denied.  The following shows up in the *nnimap-debug*
buffer:

   1 -> nnimap-open-server: server="" defs=((nnimap-address "shell.faradic.net"))
   | 2 -> nnimap-server-opened: server=""
   | 2 <- nnimap-server-opened: nil
   | 2 -> nnimap-open-connection: server=""
   | 2 <- nnimap-open-connection: nil
   1 <- nnimap-open-server: nil

Connecting to the IMAP server from Pine works just fine.

Any ideas what is going wrong?  Is there some way I can get more
detailed logging of where the connection is failing?

Thanks.

--
Matt McClure
Concurrent Computer Corporation

* Re: nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-23 23:16 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-11-23 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matt McClure <matt.mcclure@ccur.com> writes:

> I've tried with and without the nnimap-stream and nnimap-authenticator
> variables, but the result is the same in all cases.  The connection to
> the IMAP server is denied.  The following shows up in the *nnimap-debug*
> buffer:

What does the *imap-log* buffer contain?  (edit out passwords before
mailing)

> Connecting to the IMAP server from Pine works just fine.

I believe Pine sometime log in by doing 'rsh mailserver imapd', nnimap
doesn't so things might differ.

* Re: nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-24 18:53   ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 1999-11-24 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue Nov 23 1999, 18:16, Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

> Matt McClure <matt.mcclure@ccur.com> writes:
>
> > I've tried with and without the nnimap-stream and nnimap-authenticator
> > variables, but the result is the same in all cases.  The connection to
> > the IMAP server is denied.  The following shows up in the *nnimap-debug*
> > buffer:
>
> What does the *imap-log* buffer contain?  (edit out passwords before
> mailing)

There was no *imap-log* buffer.

However, this morning it works.  I commented out the nnimap-stream and
nnimap-authenticator variables, which I thought I had done yesterday,
but I guess I hadn't.

--
Matt
http://www.faradic.net/~mmcclure/

* Re: nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-24 20:29     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 1999-11-24 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matt McClure <matthew.mcclure.es.99@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> There was no *imap-log* buffer.

Evaluate `(setq imap-log "*imap-log*")'.

> However, this morning it works.

Good.

* Re: nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-24 21:09 ` David Maslen
From: David Maslen @ 1999-11-24 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Matt McClure <matt.mcclure@ccur.com> writes:
> I upgraded to 0.98, and I'm trying to use nnimap for the first time.
> I've added the following to my .gnus.el:
>
>    (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>          '((nnfolder "archive"
>                      (nnfolder-directory   "~/mail")
>                      (nnfolder-active-file "~/mail/.active")
>                      (nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
>                      (nnfolder-inhibit-expiry nil))
>            (nnimap "" (nnimap-address "shell.faradic.net")
>    ;                (nnimap-stream "network")
>    ;                (nnimap-authenticator "login")
>                    )))

I had a similar experience. I couldn't get nnimap-authenticator
"login" to work. I had cram-md5 compiled into my imap server by
default, but hadn't set up the extra passwd file that system
requires. nnimap tried to use the best security system you have for
login by default. Once I had fixed the md5 login everything worked
fine.

Sounds like when you removed the authenticator variable, nnimap tried
to use it or the highest level of security you have correctly
installed on the server and worked for you too.

It would appear that something is not right in the way nnimap uses
this variable, although it can do the correct thing by default.

* Re: nnimap server denied
@ 1999-11-24 21:16       ` Matt McClure
From: Matt McClure @ 1999-11-24 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed Nov 24 1999, 15:29, Simon Josefsson <jas@pdc.kth.se> wrote:

> Matt McClure <matthew.mcclure.es.99@aya.yale.edu> writes:
>
> > There was no *imap-log* buffer.
>
> Evaluate `(setq imap-log "*imap-log*")'.

The variable was set correctly.  Just no buffer was created.  It is
created now that it is working however.