From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1997-04-07 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I like to send a courtesy copy to the originator of a news article.
So I habitually type "F", edit the message, then type "C-c C-t C-c
C-c" to send the message.  However, C-c C-t unconditionally sends a
copy to the sender even if s/he has put "Mail-Copies-To: never" in the
original posting.

What do you all do to avoid this problem?  Looking at the
Mail-Copies-To header then remembering not to do C-c C-t doesn't quite
seem to be it.

kai "who doesn't want Erik mad at him :-)"
--
Why doesn't the sun come out at night when the light would come in handy?
(Terry Pratchett)

* Re: Mail-Copies-To: never
@ 1997-04-07 17:11 ` Justin Sheehy
From: Justin Sheehy @ 1997-04-07 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I like to send a courtesy copy to the originator of a news article.
> So I habitually type "F", edit the message, then type "C-c C-t C-c
> C-c" to send the message.  However, C-c C-t unconditionally sends a
> copy to the sender even if s/he has put "Mail-Copies-To: never" in the
> original posting.
>
> What do you all do to avoid this problem?

I avoid this problem by not causing it.

Generally, it works quite well if you _only_ send a discourtesy copy
if the originator asked for one, or if other circumstances demand it.

This ends up bothering a lot less people.  When someone begins a
thread in news, they usually expect followups to be in news.

Courtesy copies are unneeded expect when explicitly desired by the
originator.

-Justin

* Re: Mail-Copies-To: never
@ 1997-04-07 18:37 ` Michael Welsh Duggan
From: Michael Welsh Duggan @ 1997-04-07 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjohann@charly.cs.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> I like to send a courtesy copy to the originator of a news article.
> So I habitually type "F", edit the message, then type "C-c C-t C-c
> C-c" to send the message.  However, C-c C-t unconditionally sends a
> copy to the sender even if s/he has put "Mail-Copies-To: never" in the
> original posting.
>
> What do you all do to avoid this problem?  Looking at the
> Mail-Copies-To header then remembering not to do C-c C-t doesn't quite
> seem to be it.

This appears to be due to an error in message.el.

(defun message-insert-to ()
  "Insert a To header that points to the author of the article being replied to."
  (interactive)
  (let ((co (message-fetch-field "mail-copies-to")))
    (when (and co
               (equal (downcase co) "never"))
      (error "The user has requested not to have copies sent via mail")))

The `message-fetch-field' should be changed to
`message-fetch-reply-field'.

--
Michael Duggan
(md5i@schenley.com)