* pop password
@ 1998-11-07 11:47 Norbert Koch
       [not found] ` <x790hnab1v.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
From: Norbert Koch @ 1998-11-07 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

(^%&*&* routed)

Hi,

I've applied Shenghuo ZHU's patch now - thanks a lot, it seems to
work :-)

Anyway, I'm wondering why I do have to set 'pop3-password'. IIRC,
'nnmail-pop-password' should have the same effect, shouldn't it?

Just curious. Not that it makes any difference to me what the variable
is called :-)

Cheers, norbert.

--
Cursed, cursed creator! Why did I live? Why, in that instant, did I
not extinguish the spark of existance that you had so wantonly

* Re: pop password
       [not found] ` <x790hnab1v.fsf@peorth.gweep.net>
@ 1998-11-07 12:47   ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 1998-11-07 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> writes:

> "viteno" == Norbert Koch <n.koch@delta-ii.de> writes:
>
> viteno> Anyway, I'm wondering why I do have to set 'pop3-password'. IIRC,
> viteno> 'nnmail-pop-password' should have the same effect, shouldn't it?
>
> Not really.  You see, you should not manually set either of them.  If you
> do, your POP password is stored in memory, which is very bad.
>
> Although, properly speaking, pop3-movemail when called by Gnus should
> inherit Gnus' (nnmail's) password.  The appended patch should fix that.

[...]

Thanks for the patch, it works :-)

Anyway, basically I agree with you that it's not the best thing to
store the pop password (not my login passwd BTW) on disk. OTOH if this
means to type the password every odd minute, it's going to become
annoying over the time. If I reduce access to my mail folder wherein I
keep my gnus initialisation file, only I and all sorts of BOFH are
able to gain this information. But, IMO in a UNIX world I run this
risk all day long.

Cheers, norbert.