* Red Gnus workaround for certain nntp servers
@ 1996-09-11 17:55 Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-09-11 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Red Gnus feature tests for nntp server support are broken.  The way
this bug shows up is that all article counts for nntp groups have '*'s
instead of numbers.  This is because your server doesn't support `LIST
ACTIVE group' and Gnus doesn't know it.  You can bypass the buggy
check by putting:

(setq nntp-server-list-active-group nil)

in your .gnus.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be billed at $250/message.

* Re: Red Gnus workaround for certain nntp servers
@ 1996-09-11 22:11 ` Michael Harnois
From: Michael Harnois @ 1996-09-11 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:

> Red Gnus feature tests for nntp server support are broken.  The way
> this bug shows up is that all article counts for nntp groups have '*'s
> instead of numbers.  This is because your server doesn't support `LIST
> ACTIVE group' and Gnus doesn't know it.  You can bypass the buggy
> check by putting:
>
> (setq nntp-server-list-active-group nil)
>
> in your .gnus.

While the workaround does work, and it is what I have been doing, Lars
says I do not have a broken server ...

+  Michael D. Harnois           +  The Christian ideal has not been      +
+  Pastor, computer nerd,       +  tried and found wanting; it has been  +
+  Linux user, Havanese owner   +  found difficult and left untried.     +
+  mharnois@sbt.net             +          --G. K. Chesterton            +

* Re: Red Gnus workaround for certain nntp servers
@ 1996-09-20 22:39   ` Sten Drescher
From: Sten Drescher @ 1996-09-20 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

MH> Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com> writes:
>> Red Gnus feature tests for nntp server support are broken.  The way
>> this bug shows up is that all article counts for nntp groups have
>> '*'s instead of numbers.  This is because your server doesn't
>> support `LIST ACTIVE group' and Gnus doesn't know it.  You can
>> bypass the buggy check by putting:
>>
>> (setq nntp-server-list-active-group nil)
>>
>> in your .gnus.

MH> While the workaround does work, and it is what I have been doing,
MH> Lars says I do not have a broken server ...

	I'd have to agree with this.  I was seeing this behavior,
until I commented out (setq gnus-read-active-file 'some).  The fact
that it used to work in old Gnus and not in Red Gnus 0.39 makes me
think that it's the new algorithm.

--
|   Sten Drescher                     Tivoli Systems, Inc               |