* authinfo file and imap
@ 2005-06-27 22:39 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2005-06-27 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I spent almost 2 hours to understand why I could not authenticate
myself on my IMAP server. The source of the problem was that I
didn't include the 'port 143' element on the IMAP line.

Why is this mandatory for IMAP and not for other sources such as
NNTP ?

Regards.
--
.o.  | Hacker wonderland
..o  |

* Re: authinfo file and imap
@ 2005-06-27 22:47 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2005-06-27 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I spent almost 2 hours to understand why I could not authenticate
> myself on my IMAP server. The source of the problem was that I
> didn't include the 'port 143' element on the IMAP line.
>
> Why is this mandatory for IMAP and not for other sources such as
> NNTP ?

That isn't intentional.  Note the various invocations of
netrc-machine-user-or-password with different default ports below.
Perhaps you can edebug nnimap-open-connection (and ultimately
n-m-u-o-p) to see why it isn't getting the proper account back.

    (let* ((list (progn (gnus-message 7 "Parsing authinfo file `%s'."
				      nnimap-authinfo-file)
			(netrc-parse nnimap-authinfo-file)))
 	   (port (if nnimap-server-port
 		     (int-to-string nnimap-server-port)
 		   "imap"))
	   (user (netrc-machine-user-or-password
		  "login"
		  list
		  (list server
			(or nnimap-server-address
			    nnimap-address))
		  (list port)
		  (list "imap" "imaps")))
	   (passwd (netrc-machine-user-or-password
		    "password"
		    list
		    (list server
			  (or nnimap-server-address
			      nnimap-address))
		    (list port)
		    (list "imap" "imaps"))))

* Re: authinfo file and imap
@ 2005-06-27 23:13 ` Matthieu Moy
From: Matthieu Moy @ 2005-06-27 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> Hello,

Salut Xavier,

> I spent almost 2 hours to understand why I could not authenticate
> myself on my IMAP server. The source of the problem was that I
> didn't include the 'port 143' element on the IMAP line.

I've been using Gnus+Imap+.authinfo daily for 2 years, I never used
this "port 143" element ...

--
Matthieu