From: Nicolas KOWALSKI <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr>
Subject: Re: nnimap subfolder problem
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:01:56 +0200	[thread overview]

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Right, but there is no generic connection between directories and the
>> delimiter character used in group names with IMAP.
>
> I vaguely recall that there is an IMAP protocol element where you can
> ask the server which character it uses as a hierarchy delimiter.  Am I
> dreaming?

Mmh. I was wrong in my last post :

7.2.2.  LIST Response

   Contents:   name attributes
               hierarchy delimiter
               name

      The LIST response occurs as a result of a LIST command.  It
      returns a single name that matches the LIST specification.  There
      can be multiple LIST responses for a single LIST command.

<snip>

      The hierarchy delimiter is a character used to delimit levels of
      hierarchy in a mailbox name.  A client can use it to create child
      mailboxes, and to search higher or lower levels of naming
      hierarchy.  All children of a top-level hierarchy node MUST use
      the same separator character.  A NIL hierarchy delimiter means
      that no hierarchy exists; the name is a "flat" name.

      The name represents an unambiguous left-to-right hierarchy, and
      MUST be valid for use as a reference in LIST and LSUB commands.
      Unless \Noselect is indicated, the name MUST also be valid as an
            argument for commands, such as SELECT, that accept mailbox
      names.

   Example:    S: * LIST (\Noselect) "/" ~/Mail/foo

Nicolas.