* Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 14:30 Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2001-08-01 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

Before I switched to XEmacs/Gnus 5.8.8, I used Pine. There was a
usefull feature : the ability to remove attachments.
Is this possible with Gnus ?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 14:45 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-08-01 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
> Before I switched to XEmacs/Gnus 5.8.8, I used Pine. There was a
> usefull feature : the ability to remove attachments.
> Is this possible with Gnus ?

Edit the message from the *Summary* buffer (`e') and remove the lines
referring to that MIME segment.  `C-c C-c' ends editing and rewrites
the modified message into your mail backend.

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 15:18   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2001-08-01 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
> > Before I switched to XEmacs/Gnus 5.8.8, I used Pine. There was a
> > usefull feature : the ability to remove attachments.
> > Is this possible with Gnus ?
>
> Edit the message from the *Summary* buffer (`e') and remove the lines
> referring to that MIME segment.  `C-c C-c' ends editing and rewrites
> the modified message into your mail backend.

As I told in private to Karl, the backend I am using is nnimap. It
tells me it does not support article editing.

Is there a solution apart copy the article to an nnml group, remove it
from nnimap group, edit it, then save it to nnimap ?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 15:38     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-01 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Gnus

On 01 Aug 2001, Nicolas Kowalski wrote:

> Is there a solution apart copy the article to an nnml group, remove
> it from nnimap group, edit it, then save it to nnimap ?

I think that nnimap should be extended with a function that fakes
article editing, by deleting the old article and inserting a new
article into the group, keeping all the flags and stuff.

This has been mentioned a long time ago, but nothing has happened
since then.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 19:21     ` Jon Allen Boone
From: Jon Allen Boone @ 2001-08-01 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

>    As I told in private to Karl, the backend I am using is nnimap.  It
>  tells me it does not support article editing.
>
>    Is there a solution apart copy the article to an nnml group, remove
>  it from nnimap group, edit it, then save it to nnimap ?

Nicolas,

    Do you happen to know how pine supports this via IMAP?  Is it part
  of the IMAP protocol?

-jon
--
------------------
Jon Allen Boone

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-01 22:10       ` Nuutti Kotivuori
From: Nuutti Kotivuori @ 2001-08-01 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon Allen Boone wrote:

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
>>
>>    As I told in private to Karl, the backend I am using is nnimap.
>>  It tells me it does not support article editing.
>>
>>    Is there a solution apart copy the article to an nnml group,
>>  remove it from nnimap group, edit it, then save it to nnimap ?
>
> Nicolas,
>
>     Do you happen to know how pine supports this via IMAP?  Is it
>   part of the IMAP protocol?

IMAP does not support article editing. The only way is to delete and
create a new article.

-- Naked

* Re: Remove attachments
@ 2001-08-05 17:50         ` Amos Gouaux
From: Amos Gouaux @ 2001-08-05 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

nk> IMAP does not support article editing. The only way is to delete and
nk> create a new article.

I've noticed that when PINE does this it replaces the attachment
deleted with a little blurb that says 'attachment deleted', or
something like that.  So the basic structure of the message does not
appear to be altered.

--
Amos