* expiry-target with nnimap destination slowdown
@ 2003-07-24  8:27 Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2003-07-24  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello.

I use nnimap as a secondary mail method. The nnimap:mail/* groups are
expired in nnimap:old/* groups. One of this nnimap:old/* group is
going huge (~5000 messages), so I now I can notice a serious slowdown
when the expiration process runs.

For example, I see in the *imap-log* buffer that the nnimap backend
store "\\Seen" on all messages of the nnimap:old/verimag group, and
this for each article expired in nnimap:mail/verimag.

The imap-log corresponding to the expiration of /only/ one article can
be downloaded here (~170k) :

http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~kowalski/imap.log

Any tips for speeding it up ?
Thanks.

--
Nicolas

* Re: expiry-target with nnimap destination slowdown
@ 2003-07-31  1:14 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-07-31  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I use nnimap as a secondary mail method. The nnimap:mail/* groups are
> expired in nnimap:old/* groups. One of this nnimap:old/* group is
> going huge (~5000 messages), so I now I can notice a serious slowdown
> when the expiration process runs.
>
> For example, I see in the *imap-log* buffer that the nnimap backend
> store "\\Seen" on all messages of the nnimap:old/verimag group, and
> this for each article expired in nnimap:mail/verimag.
>
> The imap-log corresponding to the expiration of /only/ one article can
> be downloaded here (~170k) :
>
> http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~kowalski/imap.log
>
> Any tips for speeding it up ?

The imap.log file doesn't seem to be available now, but maybe you
could rename the group old/foo to old/foo2 and create a new old/foo?

If this happens often, maybe using a old/foo-YYYY-MM or similar scheme
could help.

* Re: expiry-target with nnimap destination slowdown
@ 2003-07-31  7:35   ` Nicolas Kowalski
From: Nicolas Kowalski @ 2003-07-31  7:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Nicolas Kowalski <Nicolas.Kowalski@imag.fr> writes:
>
>> I use nnimap as a secondary mail method. The nnimap:mail/* groups are
>> expired in nnimap:old/* groups. One of this nnimap:old/* group is
>> going huge (~5000 messages), so I now I can notice a serious slowdown
>> when the expiration process runs.

[...]

>> Any tips for speeding it up ?
>
> The imap.log file doesn't seem to be available now, but maybe you
> could rename the group old/foo to old/foo2 and create a new old/foo?
>
> If this happens often, maybe using a old/foo-YYYY-MM or similar scheme
> could help.

I find the "one group, one archive group" strategy more convenient
when searching for old information.

So I switched my nnimap archive groups to nnml groups, and now it
works really fast. I also think this is a more efficient long term
storage (backup sizes). These archives can also be accessed when I am
offsite (webmail, uw-imapd, #mh namespace), so, no real problem here.

Thanks for your tips.

--
Nicolas