From: "François Pinard" <pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA>
Subject: Not missing any screen while killing
Date: 22 Jul 1999 18:48:57 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi, people.  I guess this is an Emacs limitation which I should report as
such, but who knows if someone would not have a better / nicer idea.

I have the habit of falling asleep on `M-C-k' in long threaded groups.
That is, I keep `Ctrl' and `Alt' down with the left hand, and push and
release the `k' key with the right hand, trying to leave it down as much
as possible, if I can fast read the display quickly enough.

However, this is defeated when the system has any significant load, because
the refreshing of the display is optimized out when there is something in the
input buffer queue.  To work around the optimization, I use the following:

;; Show all screens, even if auto-repeat is faster than redisplay.
(defadvice gnus-summary-kill-thread (after kill-slow-down activate)
  (while (not (sit-for 0))
    (discard-input)))

There is something I find ugly in the above code, as on loaded systems,
I have the feeling the redisplay may often get interrupted by the effect
of keyboard auto-repeat, merely adding to the load, for no useful purpose.
I wonder if there would not be a more elegant approach...