* Not missing any screen while killing
@ 1999-07-22 22:48 François Pinard
From: François Pinard @ 1999-07-22 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, people.  I guess this is an Emacs limitation which I should report as
such, but who knows if someone would not have a better / nicer idea.

I have the habit of falling asleep on `M-C-k' in long threaded groups.
That is, I keep `Ctrl' and `Alt' down with the left hand, and push and
release the `k' key with the right hand, trying to leave it down as much
as possible, if I can fast read the display quickly enough.

However, this is defeated when the system has any significant load, because
the refreshing of the display is optimized out when there is something in the
input buffer queue.  To work around the optimization, I use the following:

;; Show all screens, even if auto-repeat is faster than redisplay.
(defadvice gnus-summary-kill-thread (after kill-slow-down activate)
  (while (not (sit-for 0))
    (discard-input)))

There is something I find ugly in the above code, as on loaded systems,
I have the feeling the redisplay may often get interrupted by the effect
of keyboard auto-repeat, merely adding to the load, for no useful purpose.
I wonder if there would not be a more elegant approach...

* Re: Not missing any screen while killing
@ 1999-08-27 21:41 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1999-08-27 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Pinard <pinard@IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:

> However, this is defeated when the system has any significant load, because
> the refreshing of the display is optimized out when there is something in the
> input buffer queue.  To work around the optimization, I use the following:

I submitted a patch to add a subr for "hard" refresh to Richard a
couple of years back, but I think we reached the conclusion that it
wasn't a terribly good idea.  Uhm...  Hm...  I don't recall why at
the moment, though.  :-)