From: "Damon Haley" <dkh@member.fsf.org>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Fancy Splitting IMAP to Another Server
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:11:45 -0700	[thread overview]

> Hello,
> I am wondering if it is possible to use the fancy-split for IMAP to move
> a piece of mail to another server completely. I believe in the past this
> did not work for me, but I never asked directly about it.

> For example, this is a part of my current set-up:

> (setq  nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX"
>        nnmail-split-fancy ;;
>        '(|                                ;; (2)
>          (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent) ;; (3)
>          ;; splitting rules go here       ;; (4)
> 	 (any "promed-digest@promedmail.org" "PROMED")
> 	 (any "zfs-discuss-request@opensolaris.org" "SunSupport")
> 	 (any "ggplot2" "RList")......

Hi Aric, I think not having the ability to split between servers with
nmail-split-fancy was the biggest limitation of using gnus - for me.

For example, if my wife replied to me at any of my various mail accounts I
could never automate storing all of her communications in one centralized imap
server with just gnus.  It looks like it might not be feasible because gnus
doesn't have access to all IMAP servers each time it splits mail.

The only solution to this problem I found was to run a local dovecot IMAP
server and use fetchmail to pull in all my various accounts.  Then I just use
gnus to make one connection to my local IMAP server.  Now I can
finally have just one IMAP folder per person no matter which email address
they use to contact me.  Checking my mail is also way faster as I'm not having
to maintain and re-establish multiple IMAP ssl connections.

Hope that is helpful to this discussion.

Damon

--
app: https://alpha.app.net/haleyscomet
net: https://identi.ca/vinylisl