* Re: Using agent with IMAP, accessing read IMAP mails offline
@ 2011-04-22  8:43 JJ
From: JJ @ 2011-04-22  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I've been trying to figure out how to read IMAP mail offline for the past
two days, but can't figure it out.

Nobody else is faced with this problem? Is this an uncommon way to access
mail?

I mean that's what the agent is for right? And/or cache... To be able to
read the mails already read, when offline.

Can someone advise me how to set it up in Gnus with IMAP? There's nowhere
else I can turn to for help in this matter...
--
JJ

* Re: Using agent with IMAP, accessing read IMAP mails offline
@ 2011-04-22  9:23 JJ
From: JJ @ 2011-04-22  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Richard Riley <rileyrg <at> googlemail.com> wrote:

> Theoretically you enable the imap group as an agent group. You then,
> when "plugged" fetch all articles you have marked for download (in the
> manual). it doesnt work for me as I us multiple gmail accounts and the

I understand this part, but that's why I think I'm missing something, as I
can't even start Gnus when offline, i.e. it doesn't open the Group, and
fails with:

Warning: Opening nnimap server on xxx.xxxx.xxx...failed: Unable to contact
xxx.xxxx.xxx:nil via ssl; Denied server nnimap+xxx.xxxx.xxx; Unable to
open server nnimap+xxx.xxxx.xxx due to: xxx.xxxx.xxx/imap Name or service
not known

As it tries to connect above and fails, but why doesn't it not try
connection when offline?

So I don't get to the point of agent going haywire. This is with no
settings as per gnus setup, just the gnus select method defined to an IMAP
account.

That's why I maybe need to set something up...

> agent goes haywire. I posted some use cases as to how I thought it could
> work better or more intuitively while away on hols recently and trying

I must've missed your discussion of this. Could you point me to your
discussion on http://news.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general so I can
review your setup and try to at least get it partially working... Or it
should work perfectly as I don't use multiple gmail accounts, so for one
it should work... Fingers crossed...

Thanks a lot.
--
JJ

* Using agent with IMAP, accessing read IMAP mails offline
@ 2011-04-20 13:22 JJ
From: JJ @ 2011-04-20 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I use Gnus on a Nokia N900 mobile phone. So what I'd like to do:

When I'm on a plane, be able to run Gnus unplugged, i.e. offline and
review IMAP messages that I've already read.

This used to work. But don't know since when or what changes to nnimap.el
or what have you, I can't do it.

When I'm not online now and try to start Gnus with an nnimap frontend set
as the gnus-select-method, I get:

Warning: Opening nnimap server on xxx.xxxx.xxx...failed: Unable to contact
xxx.xxxx.xxx:nil via ssl; Denied server nnimap+xxx.xxxx.xxx; Unable to
open server nnimap+xxx.xxxx.xxx due to: xxx.xxxx.xxx/imap Name or service
not known

Am I missing something. Do I need to have something set up in a special way?

How can I get it to work?
--
JJ