* Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-06 14:48 Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 2003-01-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm getting the following warning messages when I byte-compile spam.el
with the latest version of Oort from CVS (using Emacs 21.1.1).  Does
anyone know what's causing this and how I can fix the errors?  I
haven't configured any spam.el functionality.

  While compiling the end of the data in file
  /csa/forum/emerick/gnus/lisp/spam.el: ** The following functions are
  not known to be defined: spam-BBDB-register-routine,
  bbdb-create-internal, spam-enter-ham-BBDB

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul             /\/     "how young are you, how old am i?
emerick@cs.bu.edu         /\/      let's count the rings around my eyes."
------------------------------------------------- 'i will dare', the mats

* Re: Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-06 18:09 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-06 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 06 Jan 2003, emerick@cs.bu.edu wrote:
> I'm getting the following warning messages when I byte-compile
> spam.el with the latest version of Oort from CVS (using Emacs
> 21.1.1).  Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can fix the
> errors?  I haven't configured any spam.el functionality.
>
>   While compiling the end of the data in file
>   /csa/forum/emerick/gnus/lisp/spam.el: ** The following functions
>   are not known to be defined: spam-BBDB-register-routine,
>   bbdb-create-internal, spam-enter-ham-BBDB

I think this is because of the mess with the BBDB macros defined in
bbdb-com.el.  It shouldn't be a problem because of the condition-case,
I thought.  Can anyone suggest a better way to deal with those macros,
or point me to the Emacs Lisp features I'm not aware of to hush up the
warnings?

Ted

* Re: Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-07  4:51   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-07  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

>>   While compiling the end of the data in file
>>   /csa/forum/emerick/gnus/lisp/spam.el: ** The following functions
>>   are not known to be defined: spam-BBDB-register-routine,
>>   bbdb-create-internal, spam-enter-ham-BBDB
>
> I think this is because of the mess with the BBDB macros defined in
> bbdb-com.el.  It shouldn't be a problem because of the condition-case,
> I thought.  Can anyone suggest a better way to deal with those macros,
> or point me to the Emacs Lisp features I'm not aware of to hush up the
> warnings?

Just put the functions/macros in the maybe-bind lists in lpath.el to
make the warning messages go away.

* Re: Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-07 13:15     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-07 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bbdb-info

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-3, Size: 2094 bytes --]

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003, larsi@gnus.org wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>>   While compiling the end of the data in file
>>>   /csa/forum/emerick/gnus/lisp/spam.el: ** The following functions
>>>   are not known to be defined: spam-BBDB-register-routine,
>>>   bbdb-create-internal, spam-enter-ham-BBDB
>>
>> I think this is because of the mess with the BBDB macros defined in
>> bbdb-com.el.  It shouldn't be a problem because of the
>> condition-case, I thought.  Can anyone suggest a better way to deal
>> with those macros, or point me to the Emacs Lisp features I'm not
>> aware of to hush up the warnings?
>
> Just put the functions/macros in the maybe-bind lists in lpath.el to
> make the warning messages go away.

Thanks for the advice.  I used lpath.el and the warning went away.

Now, whenever I start Gnus and try to use the BBDB ham processor
spam-enter-ham-BBDB, I get this error:

Adding address onedollar@brown.bidz.com to BBDB
Followed link to /home/tzz/autodist/dotfiles/bbdb
Parsing BBDB... (frobnicating...done)
spam-enter-ham-BBDB: Invalid function: (macro . #[(records &optional name company net notes phone) "Æ\x18	;„\x10\0	9„\x10\0ÇÈ!ˆ
;„\x1e\0
9„\x1e\0ÇÉ!ˆ\v;„,\0\v9„,\0ÇÊ!ˆ\f;„:\0\f9„:\0ÇË!ˆ\r;„H\0\r9„H\0ÇÌ!ˆ\rƒn\0ÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕ\rÖBB×BBBEÓÔÕ\rØBBEFÙBBB\bB\x10\fÁ\0ÏÚ\fDÕ\fÛBBÏÜÝ\fDÞBBÍßÏàÑáÓâãÔäâÕå\fDæBBEçBBBBBEÓÔÕå\fDèBBEFéBBBÕå\fDêëìÝ\fDEíBBEFF\bB\x10	ã\0îÕ	ïBBÍðÑñÓÔÕ	òBBóBBBEôBBBD\b\"\x10\vƒ	\x01ÍõÏöÑ÷ÓÔÕ\vøBBùBBBEÓÔÕ\vúBBEFûBBB\bB\x10
ƒ\x15\x01Õ
üBB\bB\x10Íýî\f…\x1d\x01þÿ@\0\x0e@DA\0BB\"Bс@\0B\0Ïê\b)BC\0BBD\0BBBBE\0BBB‡" [clauses name company net notes phone nil error "name must be atomic" "company must be atomic" ...] 20])

The curious thing is, when I do (eval-buffer) in spam.el, I don't get
the errors anymore.  So there is some sort of discrepancy, it seems,
between spam.el and spam.elc as far as the BBDB goes.  It may have
been there before, I always use eval-buffer while testing.

I think I'm doing things correctly, though.  All the BBDB
functionality is loaded inside a condition-case, and the functions
plus the bbdb-search macro are aliased to 'ignore by lpath.el.

Ted

* Re: Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-08  3:57       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-08  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Now, whenever I start Gnus and try to use the BBDB ham processor
> spam-enter-ham-BBDB, I get this error:

[...]

> spam-enter-ham-BBDB: Invalid function: (macro . #[(records &optional name company net notes phone)

Oh, right.  That's a macro and not a function, and compiling
something thinking it's a function, but it's really a macro just
doesn't work.  So you have to remove that from the fbind stuff in
lpath, and instead require bbdb when you are compiling spam.el.

* Re: Warnings when byte-compiling spam.el
@ 2003-01-08 20:14         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-01-08 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003, larsi@gnus.org wrote:
> Oh, right.  That's a macro and not a function, and compiling
> something thinking it's a function, but it's really a macro just
> doesn't work.  So you have to remove that from the fbind stuff in
> lpath, and instead require bbdb when you are compiling spam.el.

I couldn't get bbdb-search to be compiled in properly, so instead I
used bbdb-search-simple which is just a function, not a macro like
bbdb-search.  spam.el compiles cleanly now, and the BBDB checks and
ham processing functionality appear to be usable.

Ted