From: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bug when jumping to group in empty topic?
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 14:59:21 -0500	[thread overview]

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:

> It's pretty difficult to set up a similar setup myself, so could you
> try debugging this?  I would guess that the problem is in
> `gnus-topic-goto-missing-topic'.  Try evaling

>   M-: (gnus-topic-goto-missing-topic "old")

> and see what happens.  If it does the wrong thing, try edebugging
> that function and see what it does wrong.

Evaling (gnus-topic-goto-missing-topic "old") doesn't do anything in
my setup, which is definitely wrong.  I debugged into that function
and I think the problem is with the following snippet of code:

  (if tp
      (gnus-topic-forward-topic 1)
     (gnus-topic-goto-missing-topic (caadr top)))

When Gnus calls (gnus-topic-forward-topic 1) to move to my "old"
topic, because that topic is currently hidden, nothing happens (point
seems to stay where it currently is).  So the end result is that the
"old" topic is displayed at the bottom of my Group buffer, which is
incorrect given my topic layout.

I think the way to fix this is to make gnus-topic-forward-topic smart
enough to display hidden topics when necessary.  Either that, or we
need to call some code to display the hidden topic(s) _before_ calling
gnus-topic-forward-topic -- actually, that seems like the better way
to do this.  I'm not sure I know enough about Gnus internals to know
what to change, though.  Any thoughts?

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul             /\/     "how young are you, how old am i?
emerick@cs.bu.edu         /\/      let's count the rings around my eyes."