* Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 21:09 Emerick Rogul
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm using pgnus 0.97 and I recently received a text attachment from a
friend.  When I looked at the e-mail message, it showed no obvious
sign that it contained an attachment (pgnus displayed it inline).
Since I wanted to save the info for later reference, I had pgnus write
it out to a file for me.  Later on, when I looked at it, I saw that it
contained an encoded attachment.

I have a couple of questions:

1) How can I save an attachment when it's been inlined by pgnus?

2) Is it possible to save both the mail message and inlined attachment
   exactly as they look in pgnus (i.e. I want to save out the decoded
   attachment text along with the message body, not the base-64
   encoded data)?  I suppose I could do this with write-file, but I
   thought maybe pgnus handles this internally.

Thanks (and sorry if these are dumb questions, but I can't figure them
out),

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul         /\/  "the doctor smiles terribly.  'i am referring
emerick@cs.bu.edu     /\/   your case directly to the coroner.'"
------------------------------------- 'naked lunch', william s. burroughs

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 21:27 ` Hrvoje Niksic
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-10-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> 1) How can I save an attachment when it's been inlined by pgnus?

Press `K b', and all the parts will be buttonized.  Then you can use
the context-sensitive right-mouse popup menus to save the attachment,
or you can press `<number> K o'.

> 2) Is it possible to save both the mail message and inlined
>    attachment exactly as they look in pgnus (i.e. I want to save out
>    the decoded attachment text along with the message body, not the
>    base-64 encoded data)?

You can select the region and save it with `M-x write-region' or
something.  Gnus doesn't handle that because it's very rarely needed.

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 21:27 ` Bruce Stephens
From: Bruce Stephens @ 1999-10-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> 1) How can I save an attachment when it's been inlined by pgnus?

"K b" produces buttons, and you can save from there.

What are the keys for saving and displaying attachments, though?  I
always right-click on the buttons and use the menus, but more often
I'd rather use the keyboard; presumably this is possible, but how?

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 21:40 ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-10-14 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick> Hi,

Emerick> I'm using pgnus 0.97 and I recently received a text
Emerick> attachment from a friend.  When I looked at the e-mail
Emerick> message, it showed no obvious sign that it contained an
Emerick> attachment (pgnus displayed it inline).  Since I wanted to
Emerick> save the info for later reference, I had pgnus write it out
Emerick> to a file for me.  Later on, when I looked at it, I saw that
Emerick> it contained an encoded attachment.

Emerick> I have a couple of questions:

Emerick> 1) How can I save an attachment when it's been inlined by
Emerick> pgnus?

First, you should display the buttons 'K b'. Then press 'o' on the
button of the part you want to output.

Emerick> 2) Is it possible to save both the mail message and inlined
Emerick> attachment exactly as they look in pgnus (i.e. I want to save
Emerick> out the decoded attachment text along with the message body,
Emerick> not the base-64 encoded data)?  I suppose I could do this
Emerick> with write-file, but I thought maybe pgnus handles this
Emerick> internally.

If the attachment contains ASCII characters only, I think you can edit
('e') the message and immediately save it ('C-c C-c'). Then you can
output your message. If the attachment contains some international
characters, Gnus may re-encode it.

[...]

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 22:00   ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-14 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hrvoje Niksic writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: 1) How can I save an attachment when it's been inlined by pgnus?

: Press `K b', and all the parts will be buttonized.  Then you can use
: the context-sensitive right-mouse popup menus to save the attachment,
: or you can press `<number> K o'.

Ah, I see, said the blind man :)  Thanks (everybody!) for the quick
answer.

-Emerick
  "razzle, dazzle, drazzle, drone, time for this one to come home,
   razzle, dazzle, drazzle, dry, time for this one to come alive."
--- Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> ---------- 'hold my life', the mats

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1999-10-14 22:32 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-10-14 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> I'm using pgnus 0.97 and I recently received a text attachment from a
> friend.  When I looked at the e-mail message, it showed no obvious
> sign that it contained an attachment (pgnus displayed it inline).

You want to look at the mode line which shows something line ``(3
parts)'' as an indication for multipart messages.

kai
--
Life is hard and then you die.

* Re: Saving an inlined attachment?
@ 1999-10-14 23:28   ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-10-14 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: I'm using pgnus 0.97 and I recently received a text attachment from a
:: friend.  When I looked at the e-mail message, it showed no obvious
:: sign that it contained an attachment (pgnus displayed it inline).

: You want to look at the mode line which shows something line ``(3
: parts)'' as an indication for multipart messages.

Thanks, Kai.  I just checked my modeline and noticed that wasn't
there, and then I remembered I had my article modeline slightly
tweaked from the default setting.  No wonder I couldn't tell there was
an attachment...doh!  I put it back to the default and it now tells me
there are two parts.

Oh well.  "Operator error" as they say :)

-Emerick
"this is now, this is here, this is me, this is what i wanted you to see,
 that was then, was that, that is gone, that is what i wanted you to feel"
--- Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> --------- 'so fast, so numb', r.e.m.