* why no message-goto-gcc with a binding?
@ 1999-12-03 15:45 Randal L. Schwartz
From: Randal L. Schwartz @ 1999-12-03 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have "gcc: nnml:outbox" which works most of the time, but I
occasionally need to edit it... often I can't remember the bindings to
take me into the header, except ^C ^F ^C to get me to the cc: line.
So if I have to change the gcc: or remove it, I simply searched for
gcc:.  Now today I finally want to think about reducing keystokes, and
noticed that there was no message-goto-gcc!

Is it missing for the same reason that I didn't notice it missing until now?

:-)

* Re: why no message-goto-gcc with a binding?
@ 1999-12-03 16:15 ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-12-03 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Randal L Schwartz writes:

: I have "gcc: nnml:outbox" which works most of the time, but I
: occasionally need to edit it... often I can't remember the bindings to
: take me into the header, except ^C ^F ^C to get me to the cc: line.
: So if I have to change the gcc: or remove it, I simply searched for
: gcc:.  Now today I finally want to think about reducing keystokes, and
: noticed that there was no message-goto-gcc!

: Is it missing for the same reason that I didn't notice it missing until now?

Something to just toggle it on/off would be nice, as well.

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul        /\/  "i wouldn't want to live in a world that had
emerick@cs.bu.edu    /\/   seen my genitalia. you've got no trump card."
-------------------------------------------------------- janeane garofalo

* Re: why no message-goto-gcc with a binding?
@ 1999-12-05 22:47   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 1999-12-05 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:

> Something to just toggle it on/off would be nice, as well.

Shameless plug alert.

I've got the following code which computes a good Gcc header (good for
me, that is) and offers a toggle function.

(defun message-toggle-gcc ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (let ((pmin (progn (beginning-of-buffer) (point)))
            (pmax (progn
                    (beginning-of-buffer)
                    (re-search-forward (concat "^" mail-header-separator
                                               "$"))
                    (beginning-of-line)
                    (point))))
        (beginning-of-buffer)
        (narrow-to-region pmin pmax)
        (if (re-search-forward "^gcc: .*" nil t)
            (progn
              (beginning-of-line)
              (kill-line 1))
          (goto-char pmax)
          (insert (concat "Gcc: "
                          (kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group)
                          "\n")))))))

(defun kai-gnus-outgoing-message-group ()
  (cond ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (not (string= "" gnus-newsgroup-name))
              (string-match "^\\(nnml\\|nnimap\\):" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         gnus-newsgroup-name)
        ((and gnus-newsgroup-name
              (stringp gnus-newsgroup-name)
              (string-match "^nntodo:" gnus-newsgroup-name))
         nil)
        (t "nnml:inbox")))

The toggle function is really awful and should have used one of those
nice message functions for positioning on a header and stuff.  But it
is very old -- maybe I can defend myself by saying those functions
didn't exist back then?

kai

* Re: why no message-goto-gcc with a binding?
@ 1999-12-05 22:57     ` Emerick Rogul
From: Emerick Rogul @ 1999-12-05 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann writes:

: Emerick Rogul <emerick@cs.bu.edu> writes:
:: Something to just toggle it on/off would be nice, as well.

: Shameless plug alert.

: I've got the following code which computes a good Gcc header (good for
: me, that is) and offers a toggle function.

Looks like that will do the trick; I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

-Emerick
Emerick Rogul       /\/  "i've said many, many, many unkind things about
emerick@cs.bu.edu   /\/   philadelphia, and i meant every one of them."