* sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-09-14 19:20 Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-14 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
file as a starting point for me.

Ultimately, I'm trying to get gnus working as my primary e-mail due to
the fact that I'm using emacs more and more as my "one stop shop" for
all I'm doing.

I'd ideally like to get the mail layout looking like I've got it in mutt
here[1].  So any pointers about getting a similar layout for message
view (same order of info, use of colors for messeges I tag as important,
easily seeing messages I've replied to or forwarded, etc.) as well as
message layout showing same headers, how to do coloring for reply depth,
etc).

Thanks very much for any and all responses!

  1. http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/3183/screenshotam0.png
--
Cheers,
Trey

The little town that time forgot,
Where all the women are strong,
The men are good-looking,
And the children above-average.
		-- Prairie Home Companion

Linux fedora7.thesizemores.us 2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 GNU/Linux
 15:15:33 up 5 days,  2:13,  3 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.17, 0.08

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-09-15 18:14 ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2007-09-15 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Here you go: http://kanis.eu/vc/lisp/emacs.d/ivan-gnus.el

--
Ivan
http://kanis.eu

  "The one advantage of playing with fire is that one never gets even
singed. It is the people who don't know how to play with it who get
burned up."
    -- Oscar Wilde

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-09-20 17:50   ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: ding

On Sat Sep 15, 2007 08:14PM, Ivan Kanis wrote:
> Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
> > file as a starting point for me.
>
> Here you go: http://kanis.eu/vc/lisp/emacs.d/ivan-gnus.el

Thank you!

--
Cheers,
Trey

Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with
nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month.
		-- Wernher von Braun

Linux valkyrie 2.6.16.53-0.8-bigsmp i686 GNU/Linux
  1:50pm  up 3 days 16:19,  7 users,  load average: 0.23, 0.63, 0.91

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-09-20 18:20 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-09-20 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
> I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
> file as a starting point for me.

Not for the faint of heart, 670 lines long:
http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/.gnus.el
Some archived screenshots of what my Gnus looks like:
http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/screenshots/
The screenshots are not terribly current (I long ago traded the
placement of Article and Tree) but still demonstrative.

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-09-20 18:33   ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-09-20 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Kleinpaste; +Cc: ding

On Thu Sep 20, 2007 02:20PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
> > I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
> > file as a starting point for me.
>
> Not for the faint of heart, 670 lines long:
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/.gnus.el
> Some archived screenshots of what my Gnus looks like:
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/screenshots/
> The screenshots are not terribly current (I long ago traded the
> placement of Article and Tree) but still demonstrative.

Thanks Karl!

--
Cheers,
Trey

Mustgo, n.:
	Any item of food that has been sitting in the refrigerator so
long it has become a science project.
		-- Sniglets, "Rich Hall & Friends"

Linux valkyrie 2.6.16.53-0.8-bigsmp i686 GNU/Linux
  2:33pm  up 3 days 17:02,  7 users,  load average: 0.83, 0.74, 0.74

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-10-03  2:31   ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-10-03  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ivan Kanis; +Cc: ding

On Sat Sep 15, 2007 08:14PM, Ivan Kanis wrote:
> Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
>
> > I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
> > file as a starting point for me.
>
> Here you go: http://kanis.eu/vc/lisp/emacs.d/ivan-gnus.el

Hi-

I *finally* got around to playing with this, but when I insert my
mail/news info at the top of the file and attempt to run gnus, I get
the error that gnus "cannot open load file".  Nothing specific about
*what* can't be loaded.

I commented out the
(or (ivan-load "~/keep/conf/private.el")
line

What in the file could be causing gnus not to load?

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

At a given moment I open my eyes and exist.
And before that, during all eternity, what was there?
Nothing.
                 --Ugo Betti

Linux valkyrie 2.6.22.5-29-bigsmp i686 GNU/Linux
 10:27pm  up   4:32,  4 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.31, 0.28

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: sample gnus.el file?
@ 2007-10-03  2:34   ` Trey Sizemore
From: Trey Sizemore @ 2007-10-03  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Kleinpaste; +Cc: ding

On Thu Sep 20, 2007 02:20PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
> > I'm hoping a number of people on the list would provide their gnus.el
> > file as a starting point for me.
>
> Not for the faint of heart, 670 lines long:
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/.gnus.el
> Some archived screenshots of what my Gnus looks like:
> http://karl.kleinpaste.org/gnus/screenshots/
> The screenshots are not terribly current (I long ago traded the
> placement of Article and Tree) but still demonstrative.

Hi-

Same issue here in that I get the error
"Cannot open load file" when using this as my .gnus.el file with my
account and login credentials inserted (which work fine when used as a
stand-alone .gnus.el file).

As a new gnus user, what within the file might need to be parameterized
to my environment such that it's currently causing gnus not to load?

Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Trey

There is an innocence in admiration; it is found in those to whom
it has not yet occurred that they, too, might be admired some day.
                 --Friedrich Nietzsche

Linux valkyrie 2.6.22.5-29-bigsmp i686 GNU/Linux
 10:32pm  up   4:38,  4 users,  load average: 0.26, 0.30, 0.27

@ 2007-10-03 20:30     ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2007-10-03 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Trey Sizemore <trey@fastmail.fm> writes:
> Same issue here in that I get the error
> "Cannot open load file" when using this as my .gnus.el

There's a reference to loading my password file in there.  Remove it.

Otherwise, comment out successfully larger chunks and restart Gnus until
you find out what section contains the offending content.

Blindly using my .gnus.el as your own is nearly certain to cause you
pain.  Treat it as a template or a model, borrowing from it just what
you find useful.