This induces an overview file which contains 2 lines, because somewhere along the way Gnus converts the carriage return to a newline. The 2nd line makes for the malformed overview entry, because it begins with that `>'. I would guess that what's needed for this is a patch to turn carriage returns into bland space characters, the way that I expect all headers have tabs converted to spaces to prevent screwing up the tab-separated overview files. Does anyone know precisely where this occurs? A quick peek at nnheader.el wasn't terribly informative.