I want to repair this damage done to Subject lines, notably in mailing lists which have standard tokens in them. For example, and as I'm sure everyone knows, you get a mailing list which automatically prepends "[foo]" to every subject line if it is not already present: Subject: [foo] the original subject Normal followups to this, in the absence of other hackery, become: Subject: Re: [foo] the original subject Egroups and related list-support sites will leave this one alone, because the needed "[foo]" token is in place. But then we Gnusers come along, knowing that we don't need no steenkin' subject tokens, and so we strip them out: (setq nnmail-list-identifiers '("\\[foo]")) so that what we see is: Subject: the original subject and when we reply, we generate: Subject: Re: the original subject List handlers decide this is inadequate, so they re-append the token: Subject: [foo] Re: the original subject and then some non-Gnuser follows up, generating Subject: Re: [foo] Re: the original subject which the list-identifier-stripping Gnuser will subsequently see as: Subject: Re: Re: the original subject The patch below addresses this during nnmail-list-identifiers processing, detecting repeated occurrence of "Re: " and reducing it to just one. --karl