Below is a patch based on Timo Lilja's cool update to gnus-sum.el posted to gnu.emacs.gnus (in his environment, for 5.8.8; here, updated for latest Oort) which provides an interesting and extremely useful thread tree in *Summary*, substituting textual trace lines via %B for simple space-based indentation via %I. See a simple text dump of what this provides: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/screenshots/new-thread.text I've included the small updates needed to the doc string for gnus-summary-line-format in gnus.el and related commentary in gnus.texi. I've tried it out and it works great. I haven't decided if I want to use it for the long term, but it's certainly a useful feature that a lot of people have talked about over the years. Could the following patch be applied by one of those with CVS write access? --karl