From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com>
Subject: Re: MIME and PGP (was: Gnus and Crypto stuff)
Date: 11 Dec 1998 10:14:16 -0500	[thread overview]

Jack Vinson <jvinson@chevax.ecs.umass.edu> writes:
> It looked to me like there should have been about three parts, but
> that the PGP signature broke the MIME parsing somehow.

Assuming that one wants to PGP-sign an entire message, one needs the
ability for Gnus to MIME-encode the whole thing and then let MailCrypt
do its PGP thing to the result.  Similarly, on receipt, we need the
ability to make gnus-article-hide-pgp happen rather early on, followed
by MIME decoding.  The fundamental problem we're up against is that,
at least for the recipient, PGP armor is removed rather late in the
game, long after Gnus has reached its conclusions about the MIME
components in the message.  PGP needs to be the last thing added and
the first thing removed.

I'm not really sure what semantic would be in order, if one wanted to
PGP-sign individual components of a message, rather than the whole
thing.