* IncomingXXXX files are not deleted.
@ 2001-09-04  5:18 Jinhyok Heo
From: Jinhyok Heo @ 2001-09-04  5:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm using gnus on cvs with XEmacs 21.4.4.

When I get a mail, it seems to move into ~/Mail/IncomingXXXXX. And
then by my splitting rule it goes to proper folder. Right?

After that, I think the ~/Mail/IncomingXXXXX file should be
deleted. But I found this morning more than 40,000 IncomingXXXXX were
residing on ~/Mail. Why are they not deleted?

I started using gnus about three months ago. I'm quite happy with it,
but I still get frustrated when I can't control the behavior of gnus.

Thanks in advance.

--
|  Jinhyok Heo            mailto : novembre @ournature.org
|                         whoami : <http://ournature.org/~novembre/>
|  "We are still reaching for the sky. In the developed countries people
|  are coming back down, saying, `It's empty up there.'" --- a Ladakhi monk

* Re: IncomingXXXX files are not deleted.
@ 2001-09-04 10:43 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-09-04 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jinhyok Heo <novembreN0$PAM@ournature.org> writes:
> Why are they not deleted?

Because you're using an alpha version of Gnus.

In released versions, after being moved to a 5.x numbering scheme
without a name (currently "Oort"), mail-source-delete-incoming is set
to t, so that these temporary files are deleted.  But as long as a
development tree is in progress and not considered "released," it is
set to nil.  This is to forestall disaster during development in case
something to do with mail backend development gets seriously bugged,
so you don't actually lose mail.  This was actually very important
during the Pterodactyl Gnus series around the p0.40 time frame --
Lars' complete rework of backends caused some problems for POP users
and recovering from Gnus-induced disasters was really needed for a
little while then.  (Pterodactyl Gnus is what became 5.8, as released.)

If you are sufficiently confident of Gnus' mail source handling, set
the variable to t yourself in .gnus.  If not, you need to make sure
now and then that you delete these files manually, or perhaps instead
do so occasionally via cron, using find(1) with, say, "-mtime +5".