Below are two messages, which I stole out of a mailing list and then hacked on manually in a different personal group until I got to a point where one difference between them determines whether they parse correctly as HTML or not. The first one displays as a bunch of raw (but oddly quote-colorized :-) HTML directives. The second one displays as properly parsed and formatted text. The difference between them is the presence or absence of two lines, which looks to me like rather uneventful text. In fact, one can add or delete nearly any single
segment to or from these messages, to toggle success of HTML parsing and display. I do not understand this at all. I am almost surely looking at a W3 error, but since I found it within Gnus, I figured I'd ask here first.