* auto-filling has been broken -- excessive indentation
@ 2001-08-09 13:46 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-08-09 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

I haven't changed anything to do with text-mode settings in months.
  But this morning, after having updated in CVS last evening, I am
  finding that basic auto-filling has been broken: As I type, without
  putting in explicit line breaks, when auto-fill breaks a line for
  me, it is indenting every single new line.

This is extraordinarily annoying.  Are yesterday's message.el changes
     responsible for this?

I've left this message in the excessively-indented form just as this
     new broken auto-filling has done it to me.

--karl

* Re: auto-filling has been broken -- excessive indentation
@ 2001-08-09 16:37 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> This is extraordinarily annoying.  Are yesterday's message.el changes
>      responsible for this?

I think it was you who suggested that TAB be bound to
indent-relative-maybe.  That was a good idea.  It seems setting
indent-line-function in text-like modes doesn't work so well :-/

Sorry about the misinformation spread by me.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: auto-filling has been broken -- excessive indentation
@ 2001-08-09 17:16   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-08-09 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I think it was you who suggested that TAB be bound to
> indent-relative-maybe.  That was a good idea.

No.  'Twas not me.  Perhaps not a bad idea, but at the moment,
     whatever it is that's going on is just plain wrong.

Offhand, I don't even understand the correlation between TAB binding
         and auto-fill indentation.  I'm not using TAB.  I'm just
         typing text, and letting auto-fill do its thing.

* Re: auto-filling has been broken -- excessive indentation
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2001-08-17 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> No.  'Twas not me.  Perhaps not a bad idea, but at the moment,
>      whatever it is that's going on is just plain wrong.
>
> Offhand, I don't even understand the correlation between TAB binding
>          and auto-fill indentation.  I'm not using TAB.  I'm just
>          typing text, and letting auto-fill do its thing.

It seems to work OK for me -- it only starts auto-indenting stuff if
I've pressed TAB first...

* Re: auto-filling has been broken -- excessive indentation
@ 2001-08-17 17:18       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-08-17 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>> No.  'Twas not me.  Perhaps not a bad idea, but at the moment,
>>      whatever it is that's going on is just plain wrong.
>>
>> Offhand, I don't even understand the correlation between TAB binding
>>          and auto-fill indentation.  I'm not using TAB.  I'm just
>>          typing text, and letting auto-fill do its thing.
>
> It seems to work OK for me -- it only starts auto-indenting stuff if
> I've pressed TAB first...

Has been fixed after Karl's message, I think.

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory