* Is an Xref header present in all mail handled by Gnus?
@ 2001-07-30 18:50 Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-30 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'd like to know if I can rely on the presence of an Xref: header in
all mails in nnml and nnfolder backends? Are there any variables that
a user can set to disable the generation of this header? What is the
format of this line for mail? From nnmail.el, I gather it looks like.

I couldn't find this information in the manual. My apologies if it's
someplace obvious.

--
Nevin

* Re: Is an Xref header present in all mail handled by Gnus?
@ 2001-07-30 19:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-30 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Nevin Kapur wrote:

> I'd like to know if I can rely on the presence of an Xref: header in
> all mails in nnml and nnfolder backends? Are there any variables
> that a user can set to disable the generation of this header?

The code seems to say that there is no way for the user to turn off
Xref generation, except by frobbing the code.

The code says that you were right with your thought about the format.

The Gnus info file does not contain an explanation of the format.
Maybe it's explained in some news RFC somewhere?

kai
--
~/.signature: No such file or directory

* Re: Is an Xref header present in all mail handled by Gnus?
@ 2001-07-30 19:37 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-07-30 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nevin Kapur <nevin@jhu.edu> writes:
> I'd like to know if I can rely on the presence of an Xref: header in
> all mails in nnml and nnfolder backends?

For nnml, presence is guaranteed, but accuracy is not.  Case in point,
rename a group (`G r').  The directory is moved, the active file is
updated, but the articles all retain their old Xref from before the
renaming.

* Re: Is an Xref header present in all mail handled by Gnus?
@ 2001-07-30 22:38   ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-30 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

[Xref format question]

> The Gnus info file does not contain an explanation of the format.
> Maybe it's explained in some news RFC somewhere?

Probably. I think the functionality I am looking for is partially
implemented in your nnir.el. (Looking at file names and guessing which
group they came from.)

Thanks to Karl for pointing out the `G r' example.

--

@ 2001-07-30 23:07     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2001-07-30 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Nevin Kapur wrote:

> Probably. I think the functionality I am looking for is partially
> implemented in your nnir.el. (Looking at file names and guessing
> which group they came from.)

Hm.  The other way round is already implemented somewhere in Gnus.

The implementation in nnir.el is extremely ad-hoc.  I don't really
think you want to use that...

kai
--

@ 2001-07-31  1:39       ` Nevin Kapur
From: Nevin Kapur @ 2001-07-31  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Nevin Kapur wrote:
>
>> Probably. I think the functionality I am looking for is partially
>> implemented in your nnir.el. (Looking at file names and guessing
>> which group they came from.)

> The implementation in nnir.el is extremely ad-hoc.  I don't really
> think you want to use that...

Yes. I had a look at this and it does not seem to do look at
nnmail-use-long-file-names and friends, so it could be quite wrong, I
think. I'll work on this and see if I can come up with a relatively
robust solution.

--
Nevin