* removing obnoxious mailing list trailers?
@ 1998-11-19 16:53 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-19 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a certain wild fantasy...

(OK, I have...quite a few.  This one applies to Gnus.)

I'm on a whole bunch of mailing lists.  Some of them have annoying
Subject strings which I happily destroy with nnmail-list-identifiers
and nnmail-remove-list-identifiers.  Joy, joy.

Some of them have obnoxious quasi-signature trailer files which
describe, in horrid detail, who runs the list, what organization is
(not) responsible for list content, how to (un)subscribe, how to get
list info, how to...

The (lack of) content in these seems endless.  The most heinous
offender in this category happens to be a list whose trailer is, no
exaggeration, 32 lines long -- routinely longer than anyone's actual
contribution to the list.

I'd like a new wrench, a new knob to twist...something which operates
on the same philosophical basis as nnmail-list-identifiers, which
would allow me, on a per-group basis, to hack-n-slash these long,
obnoxious trailers from every slice of mail that arrives in that group.

I wonder if I'm the only person ever to fantasize in this particular
way.  That would seem unlikely, since someone else clearly fantasized,
and then implemented, nnmail-list-identifiers /et al/.

Anyone?