* Connecting through rlogin (ssh)
@ 1998-11-04 11:36 Andy Eskilsson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1998-11-04 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want to access a newshost on another system that I have ssh-access
to one of the computers on the net, so I thought 'this is something
for nntp-open-rlogin..

First of all, where do I tell what host to connect to if it is
separate from the newsserver??

Well the entry I am experimenting with is:

(nntp "the.news.server"
      (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
      (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
      )

How do I now tell what host, or alias ssh should connect to, I have
tried setting nntp-rlogin-parameters to the host alias.. but I get
denied when trying to access it.

	/andy

--
 Non golfing generation.

* Re: Connecting through rlogin (ssh)
@ 1998-11-04 12:34 ` Jan Vroonhof
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Vroonhof @ 1998-11-04 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andy Eskilsson <andy.eskilsson@telelogic.se> writes:

> How do I now tell what host, or alias ssh should connect to, I have
> tried setting nntp-rlogin-parameters to the host alias.. but I get
> denied when trying to access it.

Use the name host as the name of the server.

Jan

* Re: Connecting through rlogin (ssh)
@ 1998-11-04 12:38 ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1998-11-04 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Crist, being a bit trigger-happy today are we?? Well I managed to get
it to work with this setup:

(nntp "newsserver"
      (nntp-address "")
      (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
      (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
      (nntp-rlogin-parameters
       ("-x" "-C" "telnet" "-8" "news.luth.se" "nntp")))

BTW Whats the difference between:
	(...)
and
	'(...)

Ahh well, what have we learned?? Maybe some additions to the
documentation is needed??

	/andy

--

@ 1998-11-04 12:42   ` Andy Eskilsson
From: Andy Eskilsson @ 1998-11-04 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

small typo there.. nntp-address should be "ssh-host" not ""

	/andy
--

@ 1998-11-04 15:35 ` Randal Schwartz
From: Randal Schwartz @ 1998-11-04 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Andy> I want to access a newshost on another system that I have ssh-access
Andy> to one of the computers on the net, so I thought 'this is something
Andy> for nntp-open-rlogin..

Here's what I'm using on qgnus (apologies if it's changed for pterry-gnus):

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.teleport.com"
			   (nntp-address "user2.teleport.com")
			   (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
			   (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
			   (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
			   (nntp-rlogin-parameters
			    ("-x" "-C" "telnet" "-8" "news" "nntp"))
			   ))

news.teleport.com shows up as the entry in the server list.  I connect
ssh to user2.teleport.com, and from there run a telnet to
news.teleport.com's nntp port.

It works.  There may be easier ways, but this gets the job done.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

* Re: Connecting through rlogin (ssh)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-11-04 16:13 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-11-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think this is a type of problem that should be solved outside Gnus,
because it's not a Gnus-specific sort of problem.  Fortunately, ssh
already provides exactly what you need:

ssh -q -f -x -L8080:real.news.server:119 your.login.host sleep 100000000

In this contrived example, the result is that connections to
"localhost" at port 8080 will be sent to "your.login.host," where you
have normal shell access, whereupon the server side of ssh will
forward the connection to "real.news.server" on port 119.

Add "-g" to make the forwarded port on your own system into a
promiscuous one, accessible by any other host.  By default, port
forwarding works on "localhost" only.  Beware of this becoming known
and accessible to outsiders, or you will become very...popular.

Once you've set up the forwarded port with ssh, then all you need in
your select method is:

	(nntp "localhost" (nntp-port-number 8080))

We use this at JPRC to support a suck-feed into our news server from
CMU CS.  (And I don't admit to which port or host have the promiscuous
port for the aforementioned "popularity" reason.)  That's why I think
this is a problem to be solved outside Gnus, because I need it both
for direct Gnus access to certain groups available at CMU CS, while
simultaneously wanting the identical capability for the sake of our
newsfeed.  One ssh invocation solves both problems.

--karl