* tm
@ 1998-08-24  3:58 Phil Humpherys
From: Phil Humpherys @ 1998-08-24  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I installed tm, and I read through the .info (was somewhat
brief), and am still clueless how to send mime attachments in
email using gnus.  I can see attachments just fine...  in fact, I
didn't need tm for that as gnus appears to do that itself.  Is
there a HOWTO somewhere for tm?  How do you send an attachment,
and what are the important lines for .emacs?

--
Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net>   DriverSoft
Unix Systems Administrator                   Mobile: +1.801.725.3257

* Re: tm
@ 1998-08-24 12:25 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1998-08-24 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes:
> How do you send an attachment,
> and what are the important lines for .emacs?

I'm using TM (7.108) under XEmacs, and during message composition,
there is a menu bar item available, MIME Edit.  That menu will show
you what you can include; if you insert a file (kbd equivalent, `C-c
C-x TAB'), it will ask you how to encode the file if it's binary
(default, base64).

No extra .emacs stuff needed, other than the (load "mime-setup") you
must already have in place.

* Re: tm
@ 1998-08-24 19:01   ` Phil Humpherys
       [not found]     ` <vxkr9y6qjr5.fsf@pocari-sweat.jprc.com>
From: Phil Humpherys @ 1998-08-24 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Phil Humpherys <phumpherys@utah-inter.net> writes:
> > How do you send an attachment,
> > and what are the important lines for .emacs?
>
> I'm using TM (7.108) under XEmacs, and during message composition,
> there is a menu bar item available, MIME Edit.  That menu will show
> you what you can include; if you insert a file (kbd equivalent, `C-c
> C-x TAB'), it will ask you how to encode the file if it's binary
> (default, base64).
>
> No extra .emacs stuff needed, other than the (load "mime-setup") you
> must already have in place.

Okay, major progress.  I put (load "mime-setup") in my .emacs
file, and sent a small .gif to myself, successfully using C-c C-x
TAB to insert the file.  But when the email message was
delivered, and I tried to enter the summary buffer, I got the
follow error message in the mini-buffer below:

Invalid coding system: ctext

I had to kill emacs, comment out the (load "mime-setup") in order
to read the file, which I was then able to do no problem.  So,
currently I have to manually modify .emacs to insert attachments,
and modify it again to read them.  I'm missing something...

--

@ 1998-08-24 20:03       ` Phil Humpherys
From: Phil Humpherys @ 1998-08-24 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com> writes:

> Odd.  I've never had to think about any such thing.
>
> A blunt search for that string in all of XEmacs' lisp files turns up:
>
> apel/emu-20.el
> 	             (x-ctext       . ctext)
> 	(defcustom default-mime-charset 'x-ctext
> apel/emu-e19.el
> 	(defconst *ctext* nil)
> apel/emu-nemacs.el
> 	(defconst *ctext*     2)
> mh-e/mh-e.el
> 	(defcustom mh-folder-coding-system 'ctext
>
> I'm not aware that my setup invokes any of this code.
>
> You may have an Emacs 20 bug on your hands, for all I know.

Ah.  I grabbed the source for emacs 20.3, and recompiled
everything...  gnus, tm, the works.  I am now doing mime
effortlessly, thanks for your help.

Now if I can get mailcrypt working...

--

@ 1998-08-25  9:26     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 1998-08-25  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Invalid coding system: ctext

TM doesn't work with 20.2 MBSK, because it assumes that GNU Emacs with
major version > 19 always has MIME, and I was unable to make it belive
otherwise.

Your approaches are:
 - start using XEmacs 20.4 (what I did for mail and news.  I use 20.2
   for everything else)
 - upgrade to 20.3 and live with MULE (which I haven't tested)

* Re: tm
@ 1998-08-26 18:19       ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 1998-08-26 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

 SB> TM doesn't work with 20.2 MBSK, because it assumes that GNU Emacs
 SB> with major version > 19 always has MIME, and I was unable to make
 SB> it belive otherwise.

Is there something wrong with the recipe to which I've previously
pointed here?

 SB> Your approaches are:
 SB>  - start using XEmacs 20.4 (what I did for mail and news.  I use 20.2
 SB>    for everything else)
 SB>  - upgrade to 20.3 and live with MULE (which I haven't tested)

For TM I think you need something like the MBSK recipe in unibyte
mode.

 - use RMIME (probably only unibyte but works fine, especially with
   some minor hacking for comfort).