From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com>
Subject: Re: [Wishlist?] Removing the "nnfolder:"-prefix?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 07:05:17 -0500	[thread overview]

Jonas Steverud <d4jonas@dtek.chalmers.se> writes:
> Wouldn't it be nice if one didn't need to have prefixes like "nnfolder:"
> in the Group-buffer?

Yes, but it's next to impossible.

If you read gnu.emacs.gnus, and you archive interesting bits of that
group to nnfolder:gnu.emacs.gnus, obviously some mechanism is needed
by which to differentiate them.

> Is it possible to implement a way of getting Gnus to know where the
> groups is coming from and getting rid of the (sort of) ad hoc method
> of using the group name for that?

I wouldn't call it /ad hoc/.

If what concerns you is the visual ugliness of the full reference in
*Group*, I suggest "%G" in gnus-group-line-format (instead of "%g"),
which will cause all groups to display without their qualifiers.
However, you will still have to reference secondary method groups with
qualifiers.

Also, depending on your mail /vs/ news predilections, you might find
it useful to exchange primary-ness and secondary-ness:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnfolder "")
      gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nntp "news")))

However, be aware that this will have ramifications in any .gnus
personalizations which depend on group name matching.  E.g., you can
no longer
	(string-match "^some.group" gnus-newsgroup-name)
but will instead need to
	(string-match "^nntp\\+news:some.group" gnus-newsgroup-name)
and conversely, what currently matches as "^nnfolder:" will need to
operate without that prefix.