From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com>
Subject: Re: metamail
Date: 08 Dec 1998 11:47:31 -0500	[thread overview]

Metamail is (should be) completely superfluous, and would probably
just get in the way.

Metamail is a MIME unpacker which will spawn viewers for each segment
appropriately.  But that is what pGnus is now doing.  Metamail doesn't
even do a particularly good job of it, considering that it doesn't
even inform the user of the existence of choices under
multipart/alternative specs.

(On a side note, I'm disturbed by the recent tendency to discuss "the"
everything.  This trend seems to have started with "the" gimp, rather
than just gimp, making me wonder if we're soon to start talking about
"the" emacs and "the" linux and heaven knows what else.  It's just
gimp, and emacs, and linux, and metamail.  It seems to me that these
are all names, not nouns; I'm not "the" Karl [especially since I'm not
unique with the name], I'm just Karl.)