* thread tree misdisplays
@ 1997-01-10 21:42 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1997-01-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've never used thread trees much before, but I've finally decided I
can use them now.  I've been using a 2-way split for some time, with
*Group* above *Summary* on the left, and the *Article* on the right,
in a very wide (200-column) Xemacs; what is intended now is the
addition of a thread tree display above the *Article*, the same size
as the corresponding *Group* buffer on its left.

	   (gnus-add-configuration
	    '(article
	      (horizontal 1.0
			  (vertical 0.4
				    (group 0.25)
				    (summary 1.0 point))
			  (vertical 1.0
				    (tree 0.25)	; <-- addition here
				    (article 1.0)))))

There are 3 problems with this that I see:

1. The use of boldface font for the names in *Tree* display entries
means that the lines defining the tree branches do not line up with
the entries themselves.  That is, the lines of display connecting
entries are plain-font [-\]* strings, but when one has scored a
subject higher, all the entries are boldfaced, and so the entries
themselves don't line up properly among those plain-font [-\]*
connectivity strings.  Can the font used in the *Tree* buffer be
forced to a plain state in all cases?

2. Again because of boldface (it appears), if the thread is very wide
in *Tree* (very tall in *Summary*), then one can find oneself looking
at an article such that no entry in the visible portion of *Tree* is
highlighted -- the would-be highlighted entry is beyond the right edge
of what the buffer displays.

3. Lastly, if a thread is very tall in *Tree* (very wide in
*Summary*), *Tree* flickers back and forth as one moves from one
article to the next, between showing an entry and then showing the top
line of the *Tree* buffer.  I would think it should move the buffer
down so that the highlighted name is remains visible.

--karl