From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com>
Subject: Re: cmsg cancel <m2g0o0vhqz.fsf@ognus-5.8.8-cvs.now.playing>
Date: 20 Aug 2000 17:01:27 -0400	[thread overview]

> The message I'm replying to was posted by the act of me cancelling a
> post, through no other action of mine.  Is that normal?

Well, yeah.

This is one of the few true brekadowns of the semantic similarities
between mail and news, where the transport actually matters.  Once you
send an email message, it's gone.  You can't cancel it or recall it or
whatever.  Posting a cancellation of a mail-gatewayed news message
implies, in this case, that the cancellation itself constitutes yet
another to-be-gatewayed message.  At best, one can complain that the
newsfeeds configuration of INN on Quimby should prevent control
messages from passing through the gate.  Then folks who see just the
mail side will still see both messages you posted, but they won't see
the cancellation.