From: Karl Kleinpaste <k@charcoal.com>
Subject: Re: Completely removing an article from drafts?
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 09:37:36 -0400	[thread overview]

Lloyd Zusman <ljz@asfast.com> writes:
> You're right, except for `gnus-summary-delete-article',
> `gnus-summary-delete-marked-as-read', and
> `gnus-summary-delete-marked-with'.

> The first one does what `nnmail-expiry-function' tells it to do.

No, not merely so.  The code near the top of -delete-article has
forced nnmail-expiry-target to 'delete since we had this argument some
months back.  (See archives, subject "B DEL being treated as expiry?")
See today's gnus-sum.el, line 9235.  The doc string is reflective of
this.  And that was merely to re-assert the previous always-deleting
behavior of -delete-article anyway, following another change which
broke this longstanding behavior.

> The second two simply limit what's shown in the summary buffer to
> those articles that are unread, or accordingly marked, without actually
> removing anything.

In the 1st place, if you will check the documentation, you will find
that these are aliases:

-as-read: Obsolete; use `gnus-summary-limit-to-unread' instead.
-with: Obsolete; use `gnus-summary-limit-exclude-marks' instead.

And in the 2nd place, what those functions do, native or aliased, is
to DELETE things from the summary buffer, as advertised.  They were
merely renamed (and left as aliases) because they fit better
conceptually into the general "limit" scheme.

> Also, I want to add that `gnus-summary-delete-article' does not delete
> an article using the dictionary definition of "delete" that you mention
> above.  Check the documentation and the source code.  What that function
> actually does is to expire the article, in the exact manner that Gnus
> defines "expire".

Lloyd, all this started out as, for me, was curiosity as to why you
think "delete" doesn't mean "delete."  That's all.  I wasn't intending
to get anyone's shorts in a knot over it.

I did check the source; you should do the same; look again at
nnmail-expiry-target.  And the doc string on -delete-article says:

    Delete the N next (mail) articles.
    This command actually deletes articles. This is not a marking
    command.  The article will disappear forever from your life, never to
    return.

Enough already.  Delete means delete.