From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com>
Subject: Re: nnml as primary select method /vs/ gnus-inews-mark-gcc-as-read
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:11:31 -0400	[thread overview]

> What happens if you (setq gnus-message-archive-method gnus-select-method)?

Very interesting.  I had never noticed that variable before.

I have to observe that its doc string is very ominous sounding,
suggesting that changing the variable is useless, requiring use of the
server buffer in order to edit the method after the 1st time Gnus is
run.  By itself, that would make the variable's very existence seem
rather useless, because I can't think of anyone who would have thought
to look at this variable before they ever ran Gnus for the 1st time.

The doc string's dark warning notwithstanding, I put a setq into .gnus
and seem to have gotten the result I expect.  I no longer have an
nnarchive server opened at all, and Gcc is being generated without an
explicit method.

And having experimented with the old definition of the function, it
seems to be doing the correct thing now.

Thank you, Kai.  Please disregard the patch.