From: Karl Kleinpaste <karl@jprc.com>
Subject: Re: Permissions of auto-save files (Re: permissions of dribble file)
Date: 13 Mar 1997 13:27:36 -0500	[thread overview]

Carsten Bormann <cabo@Informatik.Uni-Bremen.DE> writes:
> No -- that's not your dribble file, its the auto-save file of a
> not-yet-existing dribble file.
> Each time we install a new version of Emacs here, we apply the
> following patch:
> The real thing would be a way to indicate, from Emacs-Lisp, the
> desired privacy mode for auto-save files for each buffer in Emacs
> separately -- even those that don't have files yet (that's why I put
> bug-gnu-emacs into the CC).

Another alternative: Bury all auto-save files in a particular
directory, and then change the _directory_ mode to be 0700, thus
making irrelevant the question of what modes the files themselves
have.

(This also happens to be a major win when you're editing files in AFS
or NFS and your server departs this world for universes unknown.)

# mkdir ~/.auto
# chmod 700 ~/.auto
# cat >> .emacs
(defvar auto-save-dir "~/.auto/"
  "directory for auto-saves.  protected.")
(if (file-directory-p auto-save-dir)
    (defun make-auto-save-file-name ()
      "safe/fast place for auto-saves."
      (interactive)
      (concat auto-save-dir "#" (buffer-name (current-buffer)) "#")))
^D