* p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-17 14:56 Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-06-17 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On the xemacs-beta list, steve@xemacs.org posts a note whose headers
include...

The bulk of his message contains only 7-bit characters, but his
signature contains...

        ^[$BAkHV9f$rF~NO$7$F$/$@$5$$^[(B

Presumably, given Content-Type charset ISO-2022-JP, this signature
sequence should have been rendered in that charset, but it was not --
just the raw crud is displayed.  However, I note that the X-Mailer
contains a legitimate charset sub-encoding, which is properly rendered
when headers are `t'oggled.

Is this an error on p0.88's part, or does the signature not need
charset treatment?

(I know quite a few folks on the ding list are also on xemacs-beta;
Message-Id is above, so you might take a look yourselves.)

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-17 16:18 ` Didier Verna
From: Didier Verna @ 1999-06-17 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@justresearch.com> writes:

> Is this an error on p0.88's part, or does the signature not need
> charset treatment?

> (I know quite a few folks on the ding list are also on xemacs-beta;
> Message-Id is above, so you might take a look yourselves.)

        Those messages work well for me with pgnus 0.88 and XEmacs 21.2-b12

--
    /     /   _   _       Didier Verna        http://www.inf.enst.fr/~verna/
 - / / - / / /_/ /     ENST, INFRES C201.1       mailto:verna@inf.enst.fr

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-17 17:07   ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-06-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hm...a difference of appearance varying only with xemacs beta version
disturbs me.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/pterodactyl/ for
screenshots of how this appears under -b16+p0.88.

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-26  4:10     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-06-26  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

KK> Hm...a difference of appearance varying only with xemacs beta version
KK> disturbs me.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/pterodactyl/ for
KK> screenshots of how this appears under -b16+p0.88.

XEmacs Beta version probably does not setup mule as identically as
XEmacs 20.4. Please check the following expressions

  (featurep 'mule)
  enable-multibyte-characters

They should be true, at least in function mm-decode-body.

Otherwise, we have to change some conditions in
mm-decode-body/mm-decode-string if it is not a bug in -b16.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-28 15:20       ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 1999-06-28 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shenghuo ZHU <zsh@cs.rochester.edu> writes:
> XEmacs Beta version probably does not setup mule as identically as
> XEmacs 20.4. Please check the following expressions

>   (featurep 'mule)
>   enable-multibyte-characters

> They should be true, at least in function mm-decode-body.

They're both true everywhere.

(featurep 'mule) => t

`enable-multibyte-characters' is a built-in boolean variable.
Value: t
Documentation:
Emacs Compatible; Unimplemented
Non-nil means the buffer contents are regarded as multi-byte form
of characters, not a binary code.  This affects the display, file I/O,
and behaviors of various editing commands.
Setting this to nil does not do anything.

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-29  6:22     ` Shenghuo ZHU
From: Shenghuo ZHU @ 1999-06-29  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

KK> Hm...a difference of appearance varying only with xemacs beta version
KK> disturbs me.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/pterodactyl/ for
KK> screenshots of how this appears under -b16+p0.88.

Now I upgrade to -b17 (Chiyoda). It works well.

--
Shenghuo ZHU

* Re: p0.88 possible charset bug
@ 1999-06-29 12:35       ` Hrvoje Niksic
From: Hrvoje Niksic @ 1999-06-29 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

> KK> Hm...a difference of appearance varying only with xemacs beta version
> KK> disturbs me.  See http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/pterodactyl/ for
> KK> screenshots of how this appears under -b16+p0.88.
>
> XEmacs Beta version probably does not setup mule as identically as
> XEmacs 20.4. Please check the following expressions
>
>   (featurep 'mule)
>   enable-multibyte-characters

enable-multibyte-characters has no useful meaning in current XEmacs.