* Bye bye fontlock
@ 2001-07-20  0:35 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-20  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone else noticed that fontlocking in any of the message buffers
has went south.  That is, kaput, gone, is no more.

I first noticed this in the last two days, following an cvs update.
Retreated back to a version of 03 to see if it was something of mine.

The 03 version works as expected.  So pulled down a new cvs package
and built it.  Here is what I see:

Pressing F in summary buffer opens the expected message buffer but
with out any fontlocking.

Ditto f R r and D e in drafts.

* Re: Bye bye fontlock
@ 2001-07-20 12:28 ` Karl Kleinpaste
From: Karl Kleinpaste @ 2001-07-20 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Has anyone else noticed that fontlocking in any of the message buffers
> has went south.  That is, kaput, gone, is no more.

In my Gnus that was CVS-updated about 5 minutes ago, it's working fine
in XEmacs 21.4, as shown from the result of hitting `F' on your article.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/screenshots/2001_07_20_081902_shot.gif

Perhaps you're up against a GNU Emacs 21 bug?

* Re: Bye bye fontlock
@ 2001-07-20 14:45   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2001-07-20 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:

> > Has anyone else noticed that fontlocking in any of the message buffers
> > has went south.  That is, kaput, gone, is no more.
>
> In my Gnus that was CVS-updated about 5 minutes ago, it's working fine
> in XEmacs 21.4, as shown from the result of hitting `F' on your article.
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/screenshots/2001_07_20_081902_shot.gif

Thanks Karl, that points to a local config problem here but...

> Perhaps you're up against a GNU Emacs 21 bug?

Seems unlikely... Heres why:

I tried running xemacs just now to test, but ran into lots of little
config problems trying to have both Xemacs and Emacs on the same
install.  I know it can be done, but more complications than I wanted
to deal with right now.

So brainstorming a little and with only Emacs-21 installed.  I entered
an older gnus directory - gnus_03, ran `make distclean' then
configure and make.   All to make sure it had been compiled with
emacs-21.

Then cd to gnus_04, run make distclean, then cvs update, ./configure
and make

So now I have a current cvs build and an older 03 build, done with
emacs-21.  Setting load path to the 04 build.  I get the behavior
described.  Setting the 03 build.  I get normal font-locking in
message buffers.  So some difference between those two builds would
seem to be indicated.

Can you think of how to start tracking this down?  It could still be
emacs-21 related so I guess a first move is to query other emacs-21
users.  So how about it emac-21 users... Do you see any problems with
recent cvs gnus and fontlocking?

Running a diff on gnus_3 gnus4 shows a number of changes but with my
meager knowledge of things lisp, nothing catches my attention.

The diff file was generated with this command:
diff gnus_03 gnus_04 >diff_gnus3_gnus4

So if you feel like looking at it, that was the order.

Html version can be seen here:
http://home.networkone.net/~reader/exp/diff_gnus3_gnus4.html

Text file:

@ 2001-07-20 15:33     ` Norbert Koch
From: Norbert Koch @ 2001-07-20 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Karl Kleinpaste <karl@charcoal.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:
>> > Has anyone else noticed that fontlocking in any of the message buffers
>> > has went south.  That is, kaput, gone, is no more.
>>
>> In my Gnus that was CVS-updated about 5 minutes ago, it's working fine
>> in XEmacs 21.4, as shown from the result of hitting `F' on your article.
>>
>> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~karl/gnus/screenshots/2001_07_20_081902_shot.gif
>
> Thanks Karl, that points to a local config problem here but...
>>
>> Perhaps you're up against a GNU Emacs 21 bug?
>
> Seems unlikely... Heres why:

Yes, because I see the same with 21.5  (beta1) "anise" XEmacs Lucid.

norbert.