* XEmacs 19.15 and gnus, summary buffer strangeness?
@ 1996-09-18 20:18 Shane Holder
From: Shane Holder @ 1996-09-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

10 articles in the summary buffer.
8 lines displayed in the Summary buffer
use 'n' or 'N' to scroll through the articles
Once there are only 2 articles below the window and I hit n/N the
  cursor moves to the middle of the window (the 5th article), but
  displays the 9th article, and I can never get to the 10th article
  via n/N.

--
Shane Holder                                 e-mail: holder@rsn.hp.com
Hewlett Packard                               phone:     (214)497-4182

* Re: XEmacs 19.15 and gnus, summary buffer strangeness?
@ 1996-09-18 21:17 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-09-18 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shane Holder writes:

> 10 articles in the summary buffer.
> 8 lines displayed in the Summary buffer
> use 'n' or 'N' to scroll through the articles
> Once there are only 2 articles below the window and I hit n/N the
>   cursor moves to the middle of the window (the 5th article), but
>   displays the 9th article, and I can never get to the 10th article
>   via n/N.

I imagine that this is a bug with XEmacs.  I used to have the same
problem with 19.12 or 19.13.  The workaround:

(setq gnus-auto-center-summary nil)

I don't know if or when this was ever resolved.  I am on 19.14, but I
still have the variable setting.

--
Colin

* Re: XEmacs 19.15 and gnus, summary buffer strangeness?
@ 1996-09-20 17:18 ` Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1996-09-20 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

SH> == Shane Holder <holder@mordor.rsn.hp.com>

 SH> 10 articles in the summary buffer.
 SH> 8 lines displayed in the Summary buffer
 SH> use 'n' or 'N' to scroll through the articles
 SH> Once there are only 2 articles below the window and I hit n/N the
 SH>   cursor moves to the middle of the window (the 5th article), but
 SH>   displays the 9th article, and I can never get to the 10th article
 SH>   via n/N.

Do you have horizontal scrollbars in the summary buffer?  Weird things can
happen to scrolling with them (or the modeline shadows) when partial lines
are clipped.

Try (setq scroll-on-clipped-lines nil) and/or this hook:

(defun ckd-no-hscrollbar-this-buffer ()
  "Turn off the horizontal scrollbar for this buffer."
  (and (fboundp 'set-specifier)
       scrollbar-height
       (set-specifier scrollbar-height (cons (current-buffer) 0))))

(add-hook 'gnus-summary-mode-hook 'ckd-no-hscrollbar-this-buffer)
(add-hook 'gnus-group-mode-hook 'ckd-no-hscrollbar-this-buffer)