* little nits with 5.2.15
@ 1996-06-13 20:56 Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1996-06-13 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Okay, 5.2.16 is already out, but I don't think it fixes any of these.)

(All of these are with emacs-version "19.14 XEmacs Lucid (beta24)" and
tm-7.68; yes, I know tm is responsible for some of this, but I figure
other people on the ding list are using tm also...)

Fixes, workarounds, suggestions for dealing with the following are welcome:

- [tm bug] middle-click on a URL in a MIME article leaves point in the
  MIME-View buffer.  (middle-click in a non-MIME article doesn't.)

- [tm bug, related] 's' in a MIME-View buffer doesn't go back to the
  summary buffer (really annoying given the previous bug).

- point seems to jump around in the summary buffer when selecting the next
  article; this didn't happen with 5.0.15 (on beta21, but I don't think
  anything in that area of XEmacs changed).

- [tm bug?] Is there a way to get message-mode to add my .signature after
  I hit C-c C-c but before tm-edit MIME-fies the message?  tm-edit doesn't
  put in the proper signature separator.  (This should only happen in news
  buffers; mail shouldn't get a .signature unless I ask for it.)

- the signature separator, like mail-header-separator, should be added to
  paragraph-separate when in message-mode so that filling the last
  paragraph of a message doesn't fill your .signature with it.

- it would be nice if you could specify which headers should be added at
  setup time and which should be added at post time.  I have a random
  organization chooser (code available if anyone cares, it uses cookie.el)
  but it'd be nice to know what organization a post will wind up with
  while I'm writing it.

- W w is broken somehow; it's filling things without paying any attention
  to paragraph separators.  I am using filladapt, but it didn't do this
  before.
--
Christopher Davis <ckd@kei.com> <URL: http://www.kei.com/homepages/ckd/ >
"I conclude that the CDA is unconstitutional and that the First Amendment

* Re: little nits with 5.2.15
@ 1996-06-14  4:30 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-06-14  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

ckd> - point seems to jump around in the summary buffer when selecting
ckd>   the next article; this didn't happen with 5.0.15 (on beta21,
ckd>   but I don't think anything in that area of XEmacs changed).

I don't notice this.  Does the behavior change if you add
(setq gnus-auto-center-summary nil)
to your .gnus?

This kind of sounds like the XEmacs off-by-1 auto-center bug, but I
thought it was fixed.  I discovered how much I hated auto-centering so
I have left it turned off in my environment.

ckd> - [tm bug?] Is there a way to get message-mode to add my
ckd>   .signature after I hit C-c C-c but before tm-edit MIME-fies the
ckd>   message? tm-edit doesn't put in the proper signature separator.
ckd>   (This should only happen in news buffers; mail shouldn't get a
ckd>   .signature unless I ask for it.)

Examine the hook order carefully on message-send-hook, and arrange to
have your .signature inserter put ahead of mime-editor/maybe-translate.

There's message insert-signature, and message-news-p, and
message-mail-p for deciding when to do what.  The message setup hooks
are broken though, so you can't customize your .signature by hook
alone based on News -vs- Mail (unless this has very recently been
fixed).

ckd> - the signature separator, like mail-header-separator, should be
ckd>   added to paragraph-separate when in message-mode so that
ckd>   filling the last paragraph of a message doesn't fill your
ckd>   .signature with it.

Yup.  That is annoying.

ckd> - it would be nice if you could specify which headers should be
ckd>   added at setup time and which should be added at post time. I
ckd>   have a random organization chooser (code available if anyone
ckd>   cares, it uses cookie.el) but it'd be nice to know what
ckd>   organization a post will wind up with while I'm writing it.

Yup.  I'm still a ways from regaining the customization I had with the
separated modes.  (But the gain of having cited text colored makes it
all worthwhile -- I don't know how I lived without it)

ckd> - W w is broken somehow; it's filling things without paying any
ckd>   attention to paragraph separators. I am using filladapt, but it
ckd>   didn't do this before.

Filladapt is partially broken on 19.14.  To fill the paragraph I am
now responding to took a M-q on the bottom line (first line was not
filled).  M-q on the top line did nothing.  C-e hit SPC at the end,
then M-q again.  :-(.

I've also noticed there are line lengths that result in an extra blank
line being inserted when you SPC at the end.  For example, the line
just above is the magic length.  If I move the cursor up to it and hit
SPC at the end, a line gets inserted.  This is wrong, but this is
filladapt/XEmacs and not Gnus.

--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: little nits with 5.2.15
@ 1996-06-14 18:28   ` Christopher Davis
From: Christopher Davis @ 1996-06-14 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

[Ah, aren't interactions between various packages fun?]

SLB> == Steven L Baur <steve@miranova.com>

 ckd> - point seems to jump around in the summary buffer when selecting
 ckd>   the next article; this didn't happen with 5.0.15 (on beta21, but I
 ckd>   don't think anything in that area of XEmacs changed).

 SLB> I don't notice this.  Does the behavior change if you add (setq
 SLB> gnus-auto-center-summary nil) to your .gnus?

Yes.  The jumping around goes away if I do that.

I should be more specific about the jumping around: it basically goes
something like the following paragraph. (I might have the order a little
off, it's hard to be sure what happens exactly when on X.  It's easier to
see on a slow tty.)

The cursor moves to the next line, near the beginning (one character in, I
think).  The "R" mark gets added.  The new message is displayed.  The
cursor moves to the colon.  The buffer moves up a line.

It's REALLY distracting.  (Even worse on a tty :)

 SLB> This kind of sounds like the XEmacs off-by-1 auto-center bug, but I
 SLB> thought it was fixed.  I discovered how much I hated auto-centering
 SLB> so I have left it turned off in my environment.

I do like auto-centering (though it seems to be working differently than I
remember it).  I also thought the OBOB was fixed, and in any case I
shouldn't be seeing it, because as a workaround when it WAS a problem I
turned off the horizontal scrollbar and the modeline shadow, so I don't
get any clipped lines (and wasn't that what was triggering it?).

The auto-centering behavior I remember, when used with a 5-line summary
buffer, always auto-centered on the second line from the top, giving you
one line of "look-behind" and three of "look-ahead".  It did *not* do what
Gnus 5.2 is doing, which is to auto-center on the second line from the top
unless there would be blank lines in the window.  (I *want* the blank
lines, that's how I can tell I'm at the end of the group without having to
look at the modelines.)

 ckd> - [tm bug?] Is there a way to get message-mode to add my .signature
 ckd>   after I hit C-c C-c but before tm-edit MIME-fies the message?
 ckd>   tm-edit doesn't put in the proper signature separator. (This
 ckd>   should only happen in news buffers; mail shouldn't get a
 ckd>   .signature unless I ask for it.)

 SLB> Examine the hook order carefully on message-send-hook, and arrange to
 SLB> have your .signature inserter put ahead of mime-editor/maybe-translate.

 SLB> There's message insert-signature, and message-news-p, and
 SLB> message-mail-p for deciding when to do what.  The message setup
 SLB> hooks are broken though, so you can't customize your .signature by
 SLB> hook alone based on News -vs- Mail (unless this has very recently
 SLB> been fixed).

Well, that I can fix.  Something like this (as yet untested :) should
work.  (tm should maybe add mime-editor/maybe-translate to the end of
message-send-hook, rather than the beginning...then I wouldn't need to do
this trickery.)

(defun ckd-maybe-add-signature ()
  "Maybe add a .signature before posting."
  (if (message-news-p)
      (message-insert-signature t)))

;; slight trickiness here (order-dependent hook setting)
(add-hook 'mime-setup-load-hook '(lambda ()
				   (add-hook 'message-send-hook
					     'ckd-maybe-add-signature)))

 ckd> - the signature separator, like mail-header-separator, should be
 ckd>   added to paragraph-separate when in message-mode so that filling
 ckd>   the last paragraph of a message doesn't fill your .signature with
 ckd>   it.

 SLB> Yup.  That is annoying.

Easily fixed, though; just add "-- $\\|" to the concat in message.el.

 ckd> - W w is broken somehow; it's filling things without paying any
 ckd>   attention to paragraph separators. I am using filladapt, but it
 ckd>   didn't do this before.

 SLB> Filladapt is partially broken on 19.14.

Well, okay, but that's not causing my problem; the replacement of
"gnus-article-word-wrap" with "gnus-article-fill-cited-article" is causing
the problem.  (M-x gnus-article-word-wrap Does The Right Thing; W w, or
gnus-article-fill-cited-article, is breaking stuff.)

I'm not