* What do I do to get 'ask-server behaviour when I hit F but not on startup?
@ 1996-01-15 22:12 Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-01-15 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

If I set gnus-check-new-newsgroups to a list or 'ask-server then it uses a
better mechanism for getting new newsgroups.  If I don't want it to that
whenever I log in though I should set it to nil, but if I do that then F will
not do the smart thing and I'm worried what it will do.

greg

* Re: Alternate realities
@ 1996-01-17  0:56 ` Darren Stalder
From: Darren Stalder @ 1996-01-17  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a brilliant manifestation of diety, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen said:
>Anyways, I think the pick-and-read interface is only of interest to
>hardened nn users, so I don't really feel like putting in much work on
>it. :-) At least not at the moment.

Actually, it's for hardened strn users too.  That's where I'm coming
from.  I've even formatted the summary window to look like strn.  I'm
waiting with ba(i)ted breath for the pick-and-read interface.

Darren/Torin
<torin@daft.com> <http://www.daft.com/~torin/>    <tnd@iswp.org> <torin@io.com>
Darren Stalder/2608 Second Ave, @282/Seattle, WA 98121-1212/USA/+1-800-921-4996
@ Do you have your clothes on? I probably don't. Take yours off. Feel better. @
@ Sysadmin, webweaver, postmaster for hire.  C and Perl programmer and tutor. @

* Re: What do I do to get 'ask-server behaviour when I hit F but not on startup?
@ 1996-01-17  2:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-17  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:

> If I set gnus-check-new-newsgroups to a list or 'ask-server then it uses a
> better mechanism for getting new newsgroups.  If I don't want it to that
> whenever I log in though I should set it to nil, but if I do that then F will
> not do the smart thing and I'm worried what it will do.

It will do the stupid thing; yes.  September 0.28 will allow a prefix
to the `F' command to force using `ask-server'.  In addition, if
`gnus-read-active-file' is nil or `some', that command will always use
`ask-server'.  (Well, it doesn't make sense not to, does it?)

--
Home is where the cat is.