* Dumping the ELD file to something portable..
@ 1995-12-21  7:02 Patrick Audley
From: Patrick Audley @ 1995-12-21  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

	There might already be a way to do this, but I would like to
dump all the info out of the ELD file excluding the .newrc stuff (ex:
only the group parameters, et al..).  This way I can tromp over to
another system with a brand spanking new copy of sgnus and take all my
settings with me (without all the article numbers and such that are
invalid on the new server).

	This might also be useful for batch editing of group
parameters ;)

					Thanks.

--
... I used to think I was indecisive-but now I am not so sure. -Paul Elliott
/*----------------------------------------------------------------.

* Re: Dumping the ELD file to something portable..
@ 1995-12-29  4:38 ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1995-12-29  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

   From: Patrick Audley <paudley@portal.ca>
   Date: 20 Dec 1995 23:02:34 -0800

	   There might already be a way to do this, but I would like to
   dump all the info out of the ELD file excluding the .newrc stuff (ex:
   only the group parameters, et al..).  This way I can tromp over to
   another system with a brand spanking new copy of sgnus and take all my
   settings with me (without all the article numbers and such that are
   invalid on the new server).

Something a bit more useful would be to translate article numbers from
the news server into message-ids and vice versa.  So when you get to
the new news server you can go mark them read/ticked/whatever again,
without having to re-read them.  I've seen a perl script around
somewhere that does something similar for plain newsrc files.

Of course, that's a lot more data to drag around, but I would hope
it's something you don't have to do that often...

* Re: Dumping the ELD file to something portable..
@ 1996-01-03  9:27   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-03  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

raeburn@cygnus.com (Ken Raeburn) writes:

> Something a bit more useful would be to translate article numbers from
> the news server into message-ids and vice versa.  So when you get to
> the new news server you can go mark them read/ticked/whatever again,
> without having to re-read them.  I've seen a perl script around
> somewhere that does something similar for plain newsrc files.

Yes, I've been thinking along those lines, but a) it seems like lots
of work, and 2) if we're not exceptionally clever, it'll take forever
to query the server for all those Message-IDs, and iii) it won't work
100% correctly no matter what we do.

But something like that really should be done.

--
   Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen * larsi@ifi.uio.no
      (a red leaf that falls from the purple tree)

* Re: Dumping the ELD file to something portable..
@ 1996-01-17  2:51 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-01-17  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Patrick Audley <paudley@portal.ca> writes:

> 	There might already be a way to do this, but I would like to
> dump all the info out of the ELD file excluding the .newrc stuff (ex:
> only the group parameters, et al..).  This way I can tromp over to
> another system with a brand spanking new copy of sgnus and take all my
> settings with me (without all the article numbers and such that are
> invalid on the new server).

I've added something like this to the Red Gnus todo list.  Gnus should
do some article number -> message-id translation
(`gnus-pack-bags-for-travelling') and the reverse (`gnus-unpack-bags')
to enable people to move around from server to server.

I don't know how to do that in finite time, though.

--
Miss Leonora Cortes, age 85, purchased three large bags of
individually wrapped Halloween candles to give out last year, though