* red idea, digest bursting while spooling
@ 1996-05-18 17:39 Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1996-05-18 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was thinking the other day that it might be a nice little feature to
add (dependent on setting a group parameter) digest bursting while
spooling to mail groups.  That way, except for the granularity of new
postings, you could subscribe to digest lists, and at the level where
you read them, they would pretty much appear as a regular list.

Brian.

* Re: red idea, digest bursting while spooling
@ 1996-05-18 23:13 ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-05-18 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian> I was thinking the other day that it might be a nice little
Brian> feature to add (dependent on setting a group parameter) digest
Brian> bursting while spooling to mail groups.  That way, except for
Brian> the granularity of new postings, you could subscribe to digest
Brian> lists, and at the level where you read them, they would pretty
Brian> much appear as a regular list.

I'd like to see something like this too.  It hasn't been until
recently that I've started to trust the digest splitting code though.

If you are using nnml and procmail you have two hooks already to put
something like this in place:
	nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook (Called with a spool file and any
					number of message)
	nnml-prepare-save-mail-hook (Called with exactly one message)

The nnmail-prepare-incoming-hook looks like it could be used, but it
would take some effort to do, as I would definitely want a copy of the
original digest around in case there was damage to it in transit.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: red idea, digest bursting while spooling
@ 1996-05-19  8:46 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-05-19  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Brian Edmonds <edmonds@cs.ubc.ca> writes:

> I was thinking the other day that it might be a nice little feature to
> add (dependent on setting a group parameter) digest bursting while
> spooling to mail groups.  That way, except for the granularity of new
> postings, you could subscribe to digest lists, and at the level where
> you read them, they would pretty much appear as a regular list.

Well, that would be nice, but I don't know whether I think it's all
that useful.  In Red Gnus you will be able to read collections of
digests as one group, which will achieve much the same effect.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen