* missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 16:16 Henry S. Thompson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Henry S. Thompson @ 1996-04-15 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just switched to Gnus (5.0.15) from gnus, and am largely happy,
but miss two bits of feedback:

1) The reassuring parade of article numbers in the message buffer
during long content searches (M-s, search-article-forward);

2) Some idea of what's happening during news reading:  After
NNTP: Reading ........
I get a palpable (>10 seconds) pause before my few NNSPOOL method
groups (local fake mail-to-news stuff) start flickering by at the
limits of invisibility.  What's happening during that dead time?

Also, is there any way to be saved from myself in a way which gnus
manages because .newsrc is actually in a buffer, namely that if I am
running Gnus on one machine, run it AGAIN (e.g. from home) and read a
bunch of news and exit, then quitting Gnus on the first machine the
next day DOESN'T notice that .newsrc[.eld] has changed and simply
overwrites?

ht

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 18:45 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-04-15 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henry S Thompson writes:

> Also, is there any way to be saved from myself in a way which gnus
> manages because .newsrc is actually in a buffer, namely that if I am
> running Gnus on one machine, run it AGAIN (e.g. from home) and read a
> bunch of news and exit, then quitting Gnus on the first machine the
> next day DOESN'T notice that .newsrc[.eld] has changed and simply
> overwrites?

If this ability was added, I would want there to be a variable to turn
it off.

Actually, since this would be a new feature that could impact
performance (NFS at my job stinks), I would prefer to have the default
be to NOT check.

--
Colin Rafferty
Violate the Communications Decency Act.

  "Thou shalt betroth a wife, and another man shall lie with her."
  (Punishment for anyone who violates the commandments, Deuteronomy 28:30)

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 18:47 ` Colin Rafferty
From: Colin Rafferty @ 1996-04-15 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Henry S Thompson writes:

> Also, is there any way to be saved from myself in a way which gnus
> manages because .newsrc is actually in a buffer, namely that if I am
> running Gnus on one machine, run it AGAIN (e.g. from home) and read a
> bunch of news and exit, then quitting Gnus on the first machine the
> next day DOESN'T notice that .newsrc[.eld] has changed and simply
> overwrites?

Also, if you use XEmacs, you don't need to start a new editor from home,
just have gnuserv create a new display on your tty (or $DISPLAY).  I do
this all the time.

--
Colin Rafferty

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 19:00   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1996-04-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

%% Regarding Re: missing feedback;
%% craffert@ml.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:

    cr> Also, if you use XEmacs, you don't need to start a new editor
    cr> from home, just have gnuserv create a new display on your tty
    cr> (or $DISPLAY).  I do this all the time.

You don't need XEmacs for that (at least not for $DISPLAY); GNU Emacs
since 19.29 has been able to make a frame on another X display.  I use
this all the time too :)

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 19:45     ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1996-04-15 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul D. Smith writes:
> %% Regarding Re: missing feedback;
> %% craffert@ml.com (Colin Rafferty) writes:
>
>     cr> Also, if you use XEmacs, you don't need to start a new editor
>     cr> from home, just have gnuserv create a new display on your tty
>     cr> (or $DISPLAY).  I do this all the time.
>
> You don't need XEmacs for that (at least not for $DISPLAY); GNU Emacs
> since 19.29 has been able to make a frame on another X display.  I use
> this all the time too :)

  Ah yes, but notice the key 3 letters in that last post =:> TTY... X over
even 28.8 is pretty painful. :)

-Bill P.

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 19:51       ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1996-04-15 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

%% William Perry <wmperry@monolith.spry.com> writes:

    cr> Also, if you use XEmacs, you don't need to start a new editor
    cr> from home, just have gnuserv create a new display on your tty
    cr> (or $DISPLAY).

    >> You don't need XEmacs for that (at least not for $DISPLAY);

    wp> Ah yes, but notice the key 3 letters in that last post =:>
    wp> TTY... X over even 28.8 is pretty painful. :)

I noticed, that's why I said "at least not for $DISPLAY" :)

Actually, though, after the initial (admittedly painful) startup time to
get the frame created, typing speed, display speed, etc. in the frame is
quite usable over a 28.8 modem--I do this all the time to my Linux box.

And you can make it a bit better with something like dxpc.  Ah, LBX, we
hardly knew ye!

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-15 20:13   ` Steven L Baur
From: Steven L Baur @ 1996-04-15 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Colin> Henry S Thompson writes:
>> Also, is there any way to be saved from myself in a way which gnus
>> manages because .newsrc is actually in a buffer, namely that if I am
>> running Gnus on one machine, run it AGAIN (e.g. from home) and read a
>> bunch of news and exit, then quitting Gnus on the first machine the
>> next day DOESN'T notice that .newsrc[.eld] has changed and simply
>> overwrites?

Colin> If this ability was added, I would want there to be a variable to turn
Colin> it off.

It's been in September Gnus for quite awhile now.  See the Sgnus
manual section on Slave Gnusi for details.

   Linkname: September Gnus Manual - Slave Gnusiï

Colin> Actually, since this would be a new feature that could impact
Colin> performance (NFS at my job stinks), I would prefer to have the default
Colin> be to NOT check.

You have to explicitly ask for it to get it.  Running two Gnus
sessions on the same newsrc without interlock checking is asking for
trouble though.
--
steve@miranova.com baur
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proofread for $250/hour.

* Re: missing feedback
@ 1996-04-16 21:58 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-16 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Henry S. Thompson" <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk> writes:

> 1) The reassuring parade of article numbers in the message buffer
> during long content searches (M-s, search-article-forward);

(setq gnus-verbose 10)

> 2) Some idea of what's happening during news reading:  After
> NNTP: Reading ........
> I get a palpable (>10 seconds) pause before my few NNSPOOL method
> groups (local fake mail-to-news stuff) start flickering by at the
> limits of invisibility.  What's happening during that dead time?

After the "Reading ..." thing, there's usually not much of a pause for
me.  Do you have massive amounts of (un)subscribed groups?  That could
explain it.

To find out where Gnus is spending so much time:

(setq debug-on-quit t)

and `C-g' when it's working.

> Also, is there any way to be saved from myself in a way which gnus
> manages because .newsrc is actually in a buffer, namely that if I am
> running Gnus on one machine, run it AGAIN (e.g. from home) and read
> a bunch of news and exit, then quitting Gnus on the first machine
> the next day DOESN'T notice that .newsrc[.eld] has changed and
> simply overwrites?

Nope, sorry.