* `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  1:23 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-17  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

(put-text-property 1 4 'mouse-face 'bold)

doesn't seem to work.  Do I really have to fiddle with extents to get
this to work?

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  2:52 ` Per Abrahamsen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1995-11-17  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I don't think XEmacs supports mouse-face, at least I couln't find it
in the documentation when writing `custom.el'.  It does support
`highlight' instead, but the value is flag rather than a face.  If the
flag is set the text will be highlighted when the mouse is over it,
with some fixed face (presumably `highlight').

I use the following in custom.el:

(defconst mouse-face (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
			 'highlight
		       'mouse-face)
  "Symbol used for highlighting text under mouse.")

(put-text-property 1 4 mouse-face 'bold)

which seems to work.

LMI> (put-text-property 1 4 'mouse-face 'bold)

LMI> doesn't seem to work.  Do I really have to fiddle with extents to get
LMI> this to work?

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  3:06 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-17  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> (put-text-property 1 4 'mouse-face 'bold) doesn't seem to
    Lars> work.  Do I really have to fiddle with extents to get this
    Lars> to work?

What is that example supposed to do?  If you want to make text
highlight underneath the mouse you do
(put-text-property 1 4 'highlight t)

There is no 'mouse-face property documented in my copy of the manual.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  3:17   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-17  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

> What is that example supposed to do?  If you want to make text
> highlight underneath the mouse you do
> (put-text-property 1 4 'highlight t)
>
> There is no 'mouse-face property documented in my copy of the manual.

No wonder it didn't work.  :-)

Does that mean that you can't decide how the mouse-highlighting is to
look?  Under Emacs you can use any face you want...

@ 1995-11-17  3:30 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1995-11-17  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> (put-text-property 1 4 'mouse-face 'bold)
>
> doesn't seem to work.  Do I really have to fiddle with extents to get
> this to work?

  (put-text-property 1 4 'highlight t)

-Bill P.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  3:37     ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1995-11-17  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen writes:
> steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:
>
> > What is that example supposed to do?  If you want to make text
> > highlight underneath the mouse you do
> > (put-text-property 1 4 'highlight t)
> >
> > There is no 'mouse-face property documented in my copy of the manual.
>
> No wonder it didn't work.  :-)
>
> Does that mean that you can't decide how the mouse-highlighting is to
> look?  Under Emacs you can use any face you want...

  The best way to do this is to set up buffer-specific face values for
'highlight' in the various mode hooks.  Like:

(set-face-foreground 'highlight "green" (current-buffer))

-Bill P.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  3:59   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-17  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:

> I use the following in custom.el:
>
> (defconst mouse-face (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
> 			 'highlight
> 		       'mouse-face)
>   "Symbol used for highlighting text under mouse.")

Yup.  I've done something similar in September 0.14.  Which means
that, for the very first time, we'll have proper mouse highlighting of
"%(...%)" regions under XEmacs.  Whee!

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1995-11-17  4:10 ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-17  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen

    Per> I don't think XEmacs supports mouse-face, at least I couln't
    Per> find it in the documentation when writing `custom.el'.  It
    Per> does support `highlight' instead, but the value is flag
    Per> rather than a face.  If the flag is set the text will be
    Per> highlighted when the mouse is over it, with some fixed face
    Per> (presumably `highlight').

    Per> I use the following in custom.el:

(defconst mouse-face (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
         'highlight
         'mouse-face)
  "Symbol used for highlighting text under mouse.")

    Per> (put-text-property 1 4 mouse-face 'bold)
    Per> which seems to work.

highlight on XEmacs is a boolean property.  So the 'bold there just
means t.

Highlighting is done in the face called ``highlight''.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17  4:58     ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-17  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Lars> Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> writes:
    >> I use the following in custom.el:
    >>
    >> (defconst mouse-face (if (string-match "XEmacs" emacs-version)
    >> 'highlight 'mouse-face) "Symbol used for highlighting text
    >> under mouse.")

    Lars> Yup.  I've done something similar in September 0.14.  Which
    Lars> means that, for the very first time, we'll have proper mouse
    Lars> highlighting of "%(...%)" regions under XEmacs.  Whee!

Except that specifying %( and %) in the gnus-group-line-format (still)
cause the group name not to display at all.

Highlighting is back for the *Summary* buffer though.
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17 11:32     ` Peter Arius
From: Peter Arius @ 1995-11-17 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Lars> Yup. I've done something similar in September 0.14. Which means
  Lars> that, for the very first time, we'll have proper mouse highlighting
  Lars> of "%(...%)" regions under XEmacs. Whee!

Argh, I forgot about that one, but now I can't restrain myself any longer
8). I really prefer the whole line to be highlighted. It's easier to select
a group, if one may click anywhere on the line, and it is not required to
hit the group name.

Two more remarks:

1.) Of course, I could set the `gnus-group-line-format' to include the
    whole line in between "%(..%)". But, for XEmacs at least, this should
    probably be the default, as all line-oriented modes like dired, buffer
    list etc. behave this way.

2.) If group/article selection is implemented such, that the user may click
    anywhere on the line to select an entry, but that only a smaller part
    of the line is highlighted, when the mouse moves over it, I'd consider
    this as an inconsistent user interface. IMHO highlighting means "click
    here to select", and it should precisely indicate the places where one
    can click.

As always, just my $0.01989954.

	Peter

--
I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas.
	-Calvin

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-17 17:53       ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-17 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Peter> 2.) If group/article selection is implemented such, that
    Peter> the user may click anywhere on the line to select an entry,
    Peter> but that only a smaller part of the line is highlighted,
    Peter> when the mouse moves over it, I'd consider this as an
    Peter> inconsistent user interface.

This is how I observe it behaving.

    Peter> IMHO highlighting means "click
    Peter> here to select", and it should precisely indicate the
    Peter> places where one can click.

Peter is right.  Highlighting on a subset of the line is only a winner
if that's the only place where a mouse click is meaningful.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-19  7:43         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-19  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

> Peter is right.  Highlighting on a subset of the line is only a winner
> if that's the only place where a mouse click is meaningful.

>From a practical point of view, you're totally right.  Clickable
things should probably be highlighted when you sweep the mouse pointer
over them.

On the other hand, it looks so, like, gauche.  I mean, highlighting
the entire line, with those ragged right edges...  Yuck!

"Consistent, practical, logical" v. "pretty" -- I'd go with "pretty".
:-)

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-22  0:31           ` Felix Lee
From: Felix Lee @ 1995-11-22  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On the other hand, it looks so, like, gauche.  I mean, highlighting
> the entire line, with those ragged right edges...  Yuck!

if the highlighting went to the window edge, or if it didn't diddle
the background color, then it would look ok.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-23 12:37             ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Felix Lee <flee@teleport.com> writes:

> > On the other hand, it looks so, like, gauche.  I mean, highlighting
> > the entire line, with those ragged right edges...  Yuck!
>
> if the highlighting went to the window edge, or if it didn't diddle
> the background color, then it would look ok.

Yes, I guess...  Can one do that under XEmacs?

Speaking of `mouse-face', you can now do this:

(setq gnus-summary-line-format
      "%3(%U%R%z%I%)%(%[%4L: %-20,20n%]%) %2(%s%)\n")
(setq gnus-mouse-face-2 'bold)
(setq gnus-mouse-face-3 'italic)

Then the Subject will magically become bold when you put the mouse
cursor on that part of the text.  How... useless!  I love it!  :-)

(This won't work under XEmacs, of course.)

I've also done some work on post-processing the output from
`gnus-parse-simple-format' to avoid most `format's.  Simple `insert's
and `princ's will be used where possible.  I have done no testing to
see how this affect speed, but it should help.  At least, it shouldn't
hurt.  Much.  :-)

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-24 19:22               ` Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-24 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    >> if the highlighting went to the window edge, or if it didn't
    >> diddle the background color, then it would look ok.

    Lars> Yes, I guess...  Can one do that under XEmacs?

The way I read the documention suggests that the text be blank padded
on the right to achieve that effect.

    Lars> Speaking of `mouse-face', you can now do this:

    Lars> (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%3(%U%R%z%I%)%(%[%4L:
    Lars> %-20,20n%]%) %2(%s%)\n") (setq gnus-mouse-face-2 'bold)
    Lars> (setq gnus-mouse-face-3 'italic)

    Lars> Then the Subject will magically become bold when you put the
    Lars> mouse cursor on that part of the text.  How... useless!  I
    Lars> love it!  :-)

    Lars> (This won't work under XEmacs, of course.)

Actually, I think it could be made to work, but not without some
fancy, low win (IMHO) code: set the highlight property, set additional
(unique) properties per field, install mouse tracking code, and call
the extent highlight routines directly with suitable adjustment to the
highlight face.

Do the different highlights imply that something different is done
when either is clicked on?  That might have a use ...

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-24 20:30                 ` William Perry
From: William Perry @ 1995-11-24 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Steven L. Baur writes:
>     >> if the highlighting went to the window edge, or if it didn't
>     >> diddle the background color, then it would look ok.
>
>     Lars> Yes, I guess...  Can one do that under XEmacs?
>
> The way I read the documention suggests that the text be blank padded
> on the right to achieve that effect.

  Currently that is the only way.

>     Lars> Speaking of `mouse-face', you can now do this:
>
>     Lars> (setq gnus-summary-line-format "%3(%U%R%z%I%)%(%[%4L:
>     Lars> %-20,20n%]%) %2(%s%)\n") (setq gnus-mouse-face-2 'bold)
>     Lars> (setq gnus-mouse-face-3 'italic)
>
>     Lars> Then the Subject will magically become bold when you put the
>     Lars> mouse cursor on that part of the text.  How... useless!  I
>     Lars> love it!  :-)
>
>     Lars> (This won't work under XEmacs, of course.)
>
> Actually, I think it could be made to work, but not without some
> fancy, low win (IMHO) code: set the highlight property, set additional
> (unique) properties per field, install mouse tracking code, and call
> the extent highlight routines directly with suitable adjustment to the
> highlight face.
>
> Do the different highlights imply that something different is done
> when either is clicked on?  That might have a use ...

  I just sent a patch to the xemacs-beta list that implements the
mouse-face stuff as Emacs19 does, and still keeps the old 'highlight'
behaviour that most packages use for XEmacs.  We'll see whether it makes it
into 19.14 or not.

-Bill P.

* Re: `mouse-face' under XEmacs
@ 1995-11-26 14:28                 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-26 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

> Do the different highlights imply that something different is done
> when either is clicked on?  That might have a use ...

Not in Gnus, no.  All the Gnus buffers are just window dressing.  None
of the displayed text is ever used for anything.  The reason I added
the ability to create several different `mouse-face' region was that I
had done the same with `face', and adding it just meant adding a
couple more lines.  Whee!

I think the "put-face-on-parts-of-the-text" thing is kinda "useful",
though.  Check out topic mode now, where the topic name now is in bold
while the rest of the topic line uses the default face.  Looks kinda
neat.

While we're on the subject, sort of -- I've hand-inlined stuff into
`gnus-summary-prepare-threads', and this time things actually
improved!  :-)  I got a "Generating summary..." time down from 11
seconds to 6 in a large group on my home computer.  That certainly
felt good.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen