* Replying to the right people
@ 1996-04-16 10:25 David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1996-04-16 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

What happened to gnus-reply-to-function in 0.73? It isn't used to find
out who to send replies to anymore. Is this a bug, or is there a new
variable that I don't know of?

--
David Kågedal     Lysator Academic Computer Society       davidk@lysator.liu.se
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~davidk/                              +46-13 17 65 89

* Re: Replying to the right people
@ 1996-04-16 17:47 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-16 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Kågedal" <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> What happened to gnus-reply-to-function in 0.73? It isn't used to find
> out who to send replies to anymore. Is this a bug, or is there a new
> variable that I don't know of?

All the old Gnus message composition variables are obsolete.  In 0.73
you can use `message-reply-to-function' to do what the old
`gnus-reply-to-function' did.  Sort of.

* Re: Replying to the right people
@ 1996-04-16 20:28   ` David Kågedal
       [not found]     ` <vafd9579xir.fsf@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>
From: David Kågedal @ 1996-04-16 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> "David Kågedal" <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:
>
> > What happened to gnus-reply-to-function in 0.73? It isn't used to find
> > out who to send replies to anymore. Is this a bug, or is there a new
> > variable that I don't know of?
>
> All the old Gnus message composition variables are obsolete.  In 0.73
> you can use `message-reply-to-function' to do what the old
> `gnus-reply-to-function' did.  Sort of.

Yes, sort of. But it's not nearly as useful. There seems to be no way
of using information about what group the mail was split into, like
the way gnus-reply-to-function provided a group parameter. This means
I have to do a new version of my splitting regexps just for this. Or
maybe use the existing splitting routine? Maybe the last option would
work, but I liked it better before.

--

@ 1996-04-17 15:08       ` David Kågedal
From: David Kågedal @ 1996-04-17 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <grossjoh@charly.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

>   David> [...] This means I have to do a new version of my splitting
>   David> regexps just for this. Or maybe use the existing splitting
>   David> routine? Maybe the last option would work, but I liked it
>   David> better before.
>
> Are you talking about using split regexps to find out which group the
> message is in you're currently replying to?  For me, this won't work
> in about 50% of the cases because 50% of my mails are `B m'd manually.

This was suggested "solution", yes. But as you say, it is a very bad
solution. When I have finally placed the mail in the proper group, I
want to have a {gnus,message}-reply-to-function that uses information
about which group it was placed in.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

"David Kågedal" <davidk@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> This was suggested "solution", yes. But as you say, it is a very bad
> solution. When I have finally placed the mail in the proper group, I
> want to have a {gnus,message}-reply-to-function that uses information
> about which group it was placed in.

Just use `gnus-newsgroup-name' in those functions.  It'll have the
right value.