From: larsi@ifi.uio.no (Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen)
Subject: Re: Mailing to several people.
Date: 29 Nov 1995 18:55:13 +0100	[thread overview]

steve@miranova.com (Steven L. Baur) writes:

> What Andy is describing is marking several articles, then doing a
> Reply with Original on all of them.  The net effect is to have one
> cited article containing the contents of all the marked articles.
> This isn't a good feature, it's a great feature (assuming you trim all
> the attributions appropriately).

Yes, it would be nice.  The reason it's not documented is that I feel
the current way of doing it just doesn't feel right.

After fixing a couple of bugs, this is what happens in September 0.17:

1) A mail reply buffer is set up the normal way based on the first
process marked article.

2) All subsequent articles are yanked with citation lines (hopefully)
now inserted where they should be.  (This didn't work in 0.16.)

That's yucky.  But it's not self-evident what should happen here.

I think all From, To and Cc lines from the articles should be
catenated as if replying to a single article that had quite long From,
To and Cc lines:

Article A:

From: larsi
Cc: ding
To: per

Article B:

From: gnus-bug
Cc: Steve

 =>

From: larsi, gnus-bug
Cc: ding, Steve
To: Per

And then Gnus uses the normal methods to find out what headers it
should put in the reply mail.

What about References, In-Reply-To and Subject, though?

--
Home is where the cat is.