* numbered backups & version-control
@ 1995-11-03 10:58 Massimo Campostrini
From: Massimo Campostrini @ 1995-11-03 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am a big fan of numbered backups (i.e. setting `version-control' to
`t').  I find it very useful for files I am editing.

But it is really too much for files generated automatically, such as
`.newsrc.eld' and `.newsrc'.  rmail mode solves this by never making
numbered backups of mail files (by making `version-control' local to
the buffer and setting it to `never').

I would like a similar behavior from gnus (maybe as an option,
although I can't see anybody needing six old versions of `.newsrc.eld'
backed up).

It should be very easy to implement, probably I can implement it
myself :-)

Comments?

* numbered backups & version-control
@ 1995-11-03 14:17 ` Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 1995-11-03 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

I second this; the crash file provides a big enough safety net that
even a single numbered back-up is superfluous.

* Re: numbered backups & version-control
@ 1995-11-06 13:32 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-06 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

campo@sunthpi3.difi.unipi.it (Massimo Campostrini) writes:

> But it is really too much for files generated automatically, such as
> `.newsrc.eld' and `.newsrc'.  rmail mode solves this by never making
> numbered backups of mail files (by making `version-control' local to
> the buffer and setting it to `never').
>
> I would like a similar behavior from gnus (maybe as an option,
> although I can't see anybody needing six old versions of `.newsrc.eld'
> backed up).

Yup.  I've done this in September 0.13.

--
Home is where the cat is.