* Finding a buffer given a symbolp pointer...  err...
@ 1995-12-19 22:35 Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1995-12-19 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

The good news is that I have drastically improved the icons support in
the last two days.  You can now put the icons in its own buffer.

Before I send it out, I want to know how to do something like this:
(err, properly that is)

(defvar gnus-picons-buffer "*Icons Buffer*")

(defvar gnus-picons-display-where 'gnus-picons-buffer)

This works.  However, I also want to be able to follow the rapidly
moving targets:  gnus-article-buffer and gnus-summary-buffer.  It
seems to me rather than

(setq gnus-picons-display-where 'gnus-summary-buffer)

one should do something more along the lines of the rest of the sgnus
config world:

(setq gnus-picons-display-where 'summary)

But, the question is how to extract the correct buffer name from
a 'summary reference.

Tanx,
Wes

* Re: Finding a buffer given a symbolp pointer... err...
@ 1995-12-19 23:36 ` Wes Hardaker
From: Wes Hardaker @ 1995-12-19 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, ding

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

|> (setq gnus-picons-display-where 'gnus-summary-buffer)

I forgot to add that this actually doesn't work, since the summary
buffer name changes to add the group name to it.  (ack)

@ 1995-12-20  1:05 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-20  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wes Hardaker <hardaker@ece.ucdavis.edu> writes:

> This works.  However, I also want to be able to follow the rapidly
> moving targets:  gnus-article-buffer and gnus-summary-buffer.  It
> seems to me rather than
>
> (setq gnus-picons-display-where 'gnus-summary-buffer)
>
> one should do something more along the lines of the rest of the sgnus
> config world:
>
> (setq gnus-picons-display-where 'summary)

Well, if you went with the first, you could say something like:

(cond ((symbolp gnus-picons-display-where)
       (symbol-value gnus-picons-display-where))
      ((strinp gnus-picons-display-where)
       gnus-picons-display-where))

Or something like that.  If you go with the latter, you have one more
indirection:

(setq sym (cdr (assq gnus-picons-display-where gnus-window-to-buffer)))

And then you'd have to to the `cond' up there on `sym'.

I think having `summary', `article', `picons' as possible values
sounds nice...

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen