* couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-07 23:13 St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-04-07 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

First, I would really like to be able to have multiple article
buffers, for it is really annoying (and almost defeats the purpose of
having them) to have two Summary buffers, and only one article buffer
which is swapped/stolen back and forth between them.

Second, better POP support would be nice, as my site hasn't fixed
movemail, and so I have to use `mail' to dump my mail into an mbox
file in my root dir, and pick it up from there.
(vm has a lisp-only POP program, I could post if you are interested)

third, a question: what are the "#'"s for in mail-header.el for?  They
break compilation under 19.29, but 19.30 doesn't complain, so I was
wondering.

Fourth, stripping out all four of the "'raw"s from the source allows
the use of jka-compr on folders, etc.  I was wondering what kind of
broken MUA/MTA forces a folder ending of .cc?  And if some of the
"'raw"s couldn't be removed from the source?

Thank you,
	Suika
--
Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-08 14:10 ` Greg Stark
From: Greg Stark @ 1996-04-08 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (St. Suika Fenderson Roberts) writes:
> First, I would really like to be able to have multiple article
> buffers, for it is really annoying (and almost defeats the purpose of
> having them) to have two Summary buffers, and only one article buffer
> which is swapped/stolen back and forth between them.

gnus-single-article-buffer's value is t

Documentation:
*If non-nil, display all articles in the same buffer.
If nil, each group will get its own article buffer.

> Second, better POP support would be nice, as my site hasn't fixed
> movemail, and so I have to use `mail' to dump my mail into an mbox
> file in my root dir, and pick it up from there.
> (vm has a lisp-only POP program, I could post if you are interested)

What POP support are you missing?

> third, a question: what are the "#'"s for in mail-header.el for?  They
> break compilation under 19.29, but 19.30 doesn't complain, so I was
> wondering.

from the Info file:

Gnus should work on :
   * Emacs 19.30 and up.
   * XEmacs 19.13 and up.
   * Mule versions based on Emacs 19.30 and up.
Gnus will absolutely not work on any Emacsen older than that.  Not
reliably, at least.

> Fourth, stripping out all four of the "'raw"s from the source allows
> the use of jka-compr on folders, etc.  I was wondering what kind of
> broken MUA/MTA forces a folder ending of .cc?  And if some of the
> "'raw"s couldn't be removed from the source?

.cc ?

greg

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-08 16:30   ` St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-04-08 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: , ding

GS> wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (St. Suika Fenderson Roberts)
GS> writes:
[me being silly snipped]
GS> gnus-single-article-buffer's value is t

Why does this default to true?  I know that I tend to only have two
summary buffers when I am running under X, and have multiple frames.

>> (vm has a lisp-only POP program, I could post if you are
>> interested)

GS> What POP support are you missing?

password.  I know that I could probably write a shell/perl script to
pop my mail, but I would prefer not to. (just thought of this fix now,
so I'm not sure about all of the problems with it)

>> third, a question: what are the "#'"s for in mail-header.el for?
>> They break compilation under 19.29, but 19.30 doesn't complain, so
>> I was wondering.

GS> from the Info file:

I know that.  I was just wondering what they are for.  Gnus works
quite reliably for me on 19.29 after a bit of hacking (strip the
'raw s (enabling compressed mail folders), add in the definition for
insert-file-contents-literally, and strip the # signs from the #' s in
the mail-header file)

>> Fourth, stripping out all four of the "'raw"s from the source
>> allows the use of jka-compr on folders, etc.  I was wondering what
>> kind of broken MUA/MTA forces a folder ending of .cc?  And if some
>> of the "'raw"s couldn't be removed from the source?

GS> .cc ?

Lars posted something about the 'raw s being in there to deal with the
fact that emacs dumps one into cc mode if the folder name ends in .cc .
unless some other MTA/MUA needs the folder to end in .cc it seems the
most reasonable fix is `don't end your folder names in .cc' rather
than breaking compression support.

thank you,
	Suika
--
                   wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu
The computer is not mightier than a cup of coffee, or other liquid, or a young

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-08 17:23     ` Per Abrahamsen
From: Per Abrahamsen @ 1996-04-08 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

SSFR> Lars posted something about the 'raw s being in there to deal with the
SSFR> fact that emacs dumps one into cc mode if the folder name ends in .cc .
SSFR> unless some other MTA/MUA needs the folder to end in .cc it seems the
SSFR> most reasonable fix is `don't end your folder names in .cc' rather
SSFR> than breaking compression support.

That is not just `.cc', it is anything in `auto-mode-alist'.  Saying
`don't use file names matching anything in `auto-mode-alist'' is n\bno\bot\bt
reasonable.  However, wrapping

	(let (auto-mode-alist)
	)

around the call might be if that is the only problem (you don't want
file local variables to take effect either).

--
Consider adding "(setq inhibit-local-variables t)" to your ".emacs" file.

Local Variables:
eval: (save-excursion
	 (goto-char (point-max))
         (search-backward (concat "Consider " "adding"))
         (append-to-file (point) (point-max) "~/.signature")
	 (message "The Emacs Signature Virus"))
End:

[ This virus actually worked with RMAIL users in Emacs 18!
  MS-Word viruses, go home. ]

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-08 17:25     ` Scott Blachowicz
From: Scott Blachowicz @ 1996-04-08 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (St. Suika Fenderson Roberts) wrote:

> Lars posted something about the 'raw s being in there to deal with the
> fact that emacs dumps one into cc mode if the folder name ends in .cc .
> unless some other MTA/MUA needs the folder to end in .cc it seems the
> most reasonable fix is `don't end your folder names in .cc' rather
> than breaking compression support.

Couldn't be solved by wrapping selected [small] chunks of code in

    (let ((auto-mode-alist))
      ;; ...wrapped code...
      )

or is it not quite that simple? (is it ever? :-))

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-08 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (St. Suika Fenderson Roberts) writes:

> GS> gnus-single-article-buffer's value is t
>
> Why does this default to true?

Because I think it's a good idea not to force gratuitous interface
changes upon people.  Having multiple article buffers might annoy some
people.

> >> third, a question: what are the "#'"s for in mail-header.el for?
> >> They break compilation under 19.29, but 19.30 doesn't complain, so
> >> I was wondering.
>
> GS> from the Info file:
>
> I know that.  I was just wondering what they are for.

Isn't "#'" just Common Lispese for "'"?

> Lars posted something about the 'raw s being in there to deal with the
> fact that emacs dumps one into cc mode if the folder name ends in .cc .
> unless some other MTA/MUA needs the folder to end in .cc it seems the
> most reasonable fix is `don't end your folder names in .cc' rather
> than breaking compression support.

Or "comp.lang.c".  I don't think it's inconceivable that people would
want to call a folder something like that -- and they should be able
to.  Which is why those `raw's are needed.

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-09  3:10       ` St. Suika Fenderson Roberts
From: St. Suika Fenderson Roberts @ 1996-04-09  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu (St. Suika Fenderson Roberts)
LMI> writes:
GS> gnus-single-article-buffer's value is t
>>  Why does this default to true?

LMI> Because I think it's a good idea not to force gratuitous
LMI> interface changes upon people.  Having multiple article buffers
LMI> might annoy some people.

Hmm, this might be true, except that this won't show up unless one has
multiple summary buffers, which is not possible under the old user
interface, right? (or at least when I checked I only had one article
buffer, coresponding to the group I was in, which wasn't the first
group I had pulled up articles in)
Also I know I would be more likely to look for a hook to turn off some
undesirable behaviour than to turn on a desirable one.

>> so >> I was wondering.
>>
GS> from the Info file:
>>  I know that.  I was just wondering what they are for.

LMI> Isn't "#'" just Common Lispese for "'"?

Oh!  Thanks!

[grumphing about 'raw snipped]

LMI> Or "comp.lang.c".  I don't think it's inconceivable that people
LMI> would want to call a folder something like that -- and they
LMI> should be able to.  Which is why those `raw's are needed.

Hmm, that is a decent point, but there should be a different way of
keeping auto-folder-alist from messing with things without using the
'raw s.  (This is important to me because I have over four meg worth
of gzipped mail folders)

Thanks for your time,
	Suika	(who just modified her copy of bbdb so that it doesn't
bug out on multiple article buffers, happiness, it works ^_^ )
--
wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu

Remember, though, the words of the Pope John Paul George Ringo the
Aforementioned: "Analyzing a joke is like dissecting a frog; you can find out
how it works, but you have to kill it in the process."

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-09  3:25       ` Jason L Tibbitts III
From: Jason L Tibbitts III @ 1996-04-09  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

LMI> Isn't "#'" just Common Lispese for "'"?

Well, the lisp reader turns "'" into "(quote ... )".  In Common Lisp, "#'"
means "(function ... )".  I have no idea what Emacs does with this, though.
(See _Lisp_, p 52).

 - J<

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-10  0:05         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-10  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"St. Suika Fenderson Roberts" <wrobert2@mailhost.tcs.tulane.edu> writes:

> LMI> Because I think it's a good idea not to force gratuitous
> LMI> interface changes upon people.  Having multiple article buffers
> LMI> might annoy some people.
>
> Hmm, this might be true, except that this won't show up unless one has
> multiple summary buffers, which is not possible under the old user
> interface, right?

That's true.  It's a touchy-feely issue, really.  Having multiple
summary buffers doesn't seem to have that big an impact on the user
interface, but having multiple article buffers seems to have one.  In
my opinion.

> LMI> Or "comp.lang.c".  I don't think it's inconceivable that people
> LMI> would want to call a folder something like that -- and they
> LMI> should be able to.  Which is why those `raw's are needed.
>
> Hmm, that is a decent point, but there should be a different way of
> keeping auto-folder-alist from messing with things without using the
> 'raw s.  (This is important to me because I have over four meg worth
> of gzipped mail folders)

There really should be a way to let the .gz action take place while
inhibiting mode changes and local variables.  There isn't one at the
moment, I'm afraid.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen

* Re: couple of feature requests, a question
@ 1996-04-10  0:07         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1996-04-10  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@uh.edu> writes:

> LMI> Isn't "#'" just Common Lispese for "'"?
>
> Well, the lisp reader turns "'" into "(quote ... )".  In Common Lisp, "#'"
> means "(function ... )".  I have no idea what Emacs does with this, though.

The byte compiler can handle `(function ...)' statements, while
`(quote ...)'s are used verbatim.  `(mapcar #'cdr list)' and
`(mapcar 'cdr list)' end up as the same byte code, though.

  larsi@ifi.uio.no * Lars Ingebrigtsen